Chapter 5: Let's sit down and relive horrific memories

"Do you drink? I don't mean alcohol or anything, I just meant drinks like water or a soda. Do you drink normal . . . liquids?" Blake trailed off awkwardly.

"Yes," Grim said as she settled on the couch, waving away the dust that surrounded her. The entire place was covered in it.

The sparse furniture had a grey quality because of all the dust that had settled. Grim eyed everything and frowned. Nearly all of Gregory's things were gone.

His photos and artwork that decorated the walls had disappeared, and nothing had replaced them, leaving walls sad and empty. His rugs, end tables, sculptures and flowers were all gone. As Grim looked around all she saw was the couch she was sitting on and a small armchair that Blake occupied, and a coffee table which was empty.

There wasn't a single other thing in the room. It was quite a lonely place.

"Do you want something?" Blake asked, bringing her back.

She eyed him. He looked uncertain and fidgeted constantly, unsure and confused. Grim took pity, "No, I ate before I came here."

He nodded and looked her in the eyes and Grim could feel his eyes searching for something. She didn't know what he was hoping to find but she did know that he wouldn't.

Blake took a deep breath and opened his mouth, but Grim interrupted him.

"Where's Alpha Gregory?"

She couldn't hold it in anymore. She needed to know where he was and why he wasn't here.

Blake looked stunned for a few seconds before shaking his head, "I'm sorry, he died three years ago."

Grim froze and stared at him uncomprehendingly.

"He fell off a ladder repairing the roof; he landed badly and broke his neck," Blake continued gently.

Grim swallowed her grief and turned to him, "Why are you here then?"

He shifted uncomfortably. "Because this is my home."

Grim laughed out loud. In fact, she couldn't stop laughing; the thought of it was simply to absurd, to unbelievably cruel. Not only had the man who'd been like a second father to her died, but he had been replaced by the man who single handily ruined her life. Oh god, that was just too funny. Well, it wasn't funny at all, but if she didn't laugh she would have started screaming.

When she finally calmed down it was to Blake staring at her in wonderment. Grim realised he'd never seen her laugh or be happy, how could he?

Grim settled back down in her seat and stared at him. He did the same, not moving a single inch as his eyes canvassed every inch of her. It got a little annoying after a full five minutes of utter silence. Grim shifted and looked pointedly at him, and he shook his head once again, as if having to shake away the thoughts clouding his mind.

"How- how are you here?"

"What do you mean?' Grim asked easily, having expected this and already having the answers in her mind.

Blake placed his elbows on his knees and locked his hands together, staring at her intently. "How is it that I'm looking at a girl I saw die ten years ago. How is it that she is sitting before me unchanged and looking exactly like she did when she died, even to the point where wearing the same clothes?"

"How do you know this is what I was wearing?"

"Because I've relived that night a thousand times."

That made Grim's mouth clamp shut. She sighed and begun to tell him the truth.

"I cannot tell you much; the living are prohibited from knowing about the realm beyond this one. What I can tell you is that I am a death reaper. When I died I didn't go into the 'light. I became this," she said gesturing down to her cloak. She didn't mention that it didn't exactly happen like that. It wasn't so fast.