Chapter 21: Vex kicks ass

Twenty four. That's how many ribs there are in the human body. It's an amazing amount if you think about it; it almost seems too much to fit into the body. Yet it did, and Grim was fairly certain that all those twenty-four ribs had just been shattered.

She was also sure that her arm, both legs and maybe her jaw had been broken as well. It could have been more in all honesty.

She didn't have time to access the damage because Vex reached down and wrenched her to her feet. She could feel her bones healing themselves, faster than they ever did as a werewolf, but it was still too slow. His fist connected with her nose and sent her head swinging back.

He jerked her upright and brought her bloodied face to his, eyes narrowed. "Having fun Grim? Because I am."

Grim spat blood in his face.

He threw her into a tree, the tree snapping in half.

"You know," Grim choked out, "It doesn't really hurt."

"Doesn't make it any less satisfying."

He approached, scythe appearing in his hand. The red lined edge gleamed like it had already sliced through her skin. Grim sighed and stood, body mending itself automatically. The scythe appeared in her hand at a touch to her neck, but she sent the cloak away.

The two reapers stood, clutching scythes in hand and ready to fight. Grim knew she couldn't win. He was more powerful in every way, but she wouldn't go down without a fight. Whatever it took to keep him away from Mary.

Mary.

It seemed Grim couldn't escape her past no matter what she did. She was doomed to repeat the experiences of her life, but somehow in reverse. She couldn't believe it, but yet at the same time it somehow made perfect sense. Whenever something went bad Mary was there. She should have somehow known that Mary was involved with death stopping.

She was brought from her thoughts by the scythe swiping at her throat. Grim rolled out of the way just in time.

Vex spun around but not before Grim swiped her own scythe, causing a long cut to run a long his back. He roared and stumbled.

Grim stared at the scythe and back to his bloodied back. He was in pain. That wasn't supposed to happen. Then Grim realised. Nothing from the mortal realm could hurt a reaper, but the same could not be said about fellow reapers or weapons from the realm of souls.

Vex turned to her snarling. He straightened his back and stalked towards Grim.

"That wasn't nice."

"That was the point," Grim mocked.

Vex roared and launched at her. He scythe sailed through the air and Grim wasn't quick enough. She hissed as the scythes blade scraped along her arm. She stumbled away and turned back to him.

"This is just ridiculous," he said with a sigh and for a moment Grim thought he might put down the weapon and leave. "I thought it would be fun to beat you to death again with my own hands, but this just too exhausting."

Then he held out a hand and flicked his finger. Grim screamed in surprise as the ground underneath her begun to shake and crack. There was a terrifyingly large groan as the world split open. Grim teetered on the edge, string down at the endless depths before managing to push herself away. Vex didn't seem alarmed.

He flicked his finger again and fire grew around her, flames blue with heat. The flames burned around her, swirling and flickering in the air. It surrounded her, completely and in a thick ring.