Chapter 20: Drakaina

Grim fell off Ed, clutching her chest and letting out a gasp. The wolf turned to her in confusion, but Grim couldn't do anything as she struggled for breath and tried to thump the tightness from her heart.

It lasted for several endless seconds before finally fading away. Grim staggered to her feet, one hand still place on her heart, which felt heavy and tight. What was that?

"Fine, I'm fine," Grim muttered, patting Ed on the head. "but I think I'll walk."

Ed nodded and nudged her along. She walked alongside the humans, who were all looking around uncertain and bewildered. This would make a great story one day.

If they survived it.

Grim didn't have a good feeling about the dead rising. The necromancer had a plan and there was no possible way it was good. Right now her main focus was getting these thousands of people out of here alive, council be damned.

She had walked probably only ten feet before she saw him.

While dozens upon dozens of wolves fought with the undead, the rest forced a protective barricade around the humans marching forward. There was no one walking around calmly, everyone was scared and confused and in the line. Well, everyone alive.

Grim froze in her spot and stared at Vex, who was watching everything with a smile of amusement on his face. When he saw Grim he gave her a wave.

Grim turned to Ed, "Get everyone to hurry the fuck up."

Then she pushed free and walked over to Vex. He did nothing but watch as she approached and for some reason that filled her with more worry than if had brandished his scythe at her.

"Good to you see you again," he said cheerfully.

Grim crossed her arms and glared at him, "What do you want? Here to cause more highway incidents?"

His smiled widened into a grin. "Not today I'm afraid. I'm here to collect you for a friend."

Grim perked up, he was actually going to bring her to the necromancer?

"Why would I want to meet the witch?"

"You mean to say you don't know?"

"Don't know what?" Grim asked apprehensively.

He laughed at her, "You've got no clue what you're dealing with, who you're dealing with."

"Enlighten me."

He leaned in, grinning, "She had a little lamb, his fleece was white as snow, and everywhere that she went, the lamb was sure to go.

Grim stared at him in horror. No way. It was not possible. It was inconceivable that her luck could be this bad.

He leaned back and Grim struck at him, her face connecting with cartilage of his nose. He's head flicked the side but he didn't stumble back or even flinch. Slowly he turned and stared at her, as the broken nose clicked itself back into place.

"Oh, this will be fun."

Blake stared listlessly out the window. It was hard to think; with his brain a puddle of mud, and it didn't help his neck was on fire. He turned his eyes to the silver laced cuffs that were scaring the flesh on his wrist. Curiously he tugged at them and knew they would never give way, especially not while he was in this state.

"See this?" Mary had asked her lips red with his blood and in her hand a small needle with a blue liquid swirling inside it. "This is a tranquiliser laced with wolfsbane, you won't be able to shift, all your sense will be dulled and if you try to run you won't get far. Make no mistake Blake, you try to take a walk with those feet and I will cut them off."