Chapter 26: Goodbye Grim

Grim was going to die.

This time it would be different though. She'd never known a reaper to die, well . . . because they were literally death. She had no idea what would happen to her but she didn't think it would be good. Most likely it would be what happened to the other souls who refused to go into the void, just fade away into nothingness. There was no afterlife, no rebirth, Grim would simply disappear and be forgotten.

She didn't want to just disappear. In fact, the thought was downright terrifying. Yet, that was what she was faced with as she ducked out of the way from Vex's scythe.

She twirled out of the way onto be clawed by Mary's talons. She let out a hiss and tried to teleport away only to find she couldn't.

It was like a weight was on her shoulders, physically cementing her to the ground. She turned and saw the necromancer lower her hands. When Grim cast her eyes around she saw a gleaming orange circle enclosing the bridge and river. She was trapped.

In her moment of hesitation Vex attacked. Grim screamed as the scythe racked down her back. The pain was like a dozen hot needles pulsing through her. She stumbled to the railing, turning to face her enemies. Mary advanced, grinning widely to showcase the needle sharp black teeth grotesquely. Vex cracked his neck and then his knuckles, his eyes narrowed in determination. The necromancer stood out of the way, calmly watching the scenario play out without sympathy or emotion.

"You should have joined me," Vex told her. "Or you should have just left. You don't owe the council anything."

"You don't owe anyone anything," Mary chimed in. They both stopped, staring at her, ready to attack any moment.

Grim stared at them both with disgust. "Maybe, it's not about owing them or anything like that. Maybe it's about being a decent person. Maybe it's about not wanting to kill."

"Honey," Mary said with a roaring laugh. "You're a reaper, you kill for a living."

"Oh you know what I mean," Grim snapped and attacked. She sliced a Vex's wrist and in surprise he dropped his scythe with a clatter. She turned in time to barely dodge a burning claw swiping at her neck. Mary hissed, flapping those inky, bony wings and roared.

Grim screamed as she felt the fire burning at her. It actually hurt. That wasn't supposed to happen! Only a reapers scythe could hurt her!

Oh no.

Grim stumbled back, her skin burned and bleeding, and looked at the necromancer. She wasn't healing. Those pure black eyes seemed to laugh at her as the necromancer titled her head, the slightest smirk on her little lips.

"What can't you do?" Grim choked out.

"I haven't found out yet," she said in her echoing voice.

Grim hissed in frustration and stood on shaking knees. She looked at her enemies and knew they were toying with her. Mary was doing what she did best, taunting and torturing. She was like a cat, toying and playing with the mouse before she devoured her.

Vex, well, he seemed to actually really want to kill her. She gathered he wasn't all too happy she kicked him into the canyon. Yet, he wasn't going for the kill just yet because of Clara. Clare also wanted her to suffer.

Now would be a really great time for her backup to arrive. In the movies it happened when the villain taunted the hero, wasting the valuable time they had to kill them. But Grim's luck really hadn't been the best as of late.

So she was probably going to dissolve into nothingness.

She took a deep breath and steeled her achy back, which couldn't heal the scythe wound. If she was going to die today, she sure as hell was going to go down fighting.

She turned to the Mary and Vex. "Bring it on."

And oh boy did they.

They attacked simultaneously, once again proving the movies wrong. Weren't they supposed to only attack one at a time, waiting patiently for her to knock the previous one out? God, real life sucked.

Mary racked her claws against Grim's face. Vex cut the back of her ankle, and suddenly that foot couldn't hold her up anymore, and she was kneeling on the ground. She felt Mary roar again and she tried to raise her hand to protect herself, only to feel the skin on her arms burn away. Vex struck out his scythe and her own was suddenly gone from her hand. Then her long black locks were grabbed and her head forced backwards. She gasped in agony as Vex pressed the scythe against her neck.

"Any last words you little bitch."

"How about go fuck yourself."

Mary snorted, "Your originality is breathtaking. Kill her. Wait!" Mary turned to Clara. "Would you like to do the honour little one?" She asked in a sugary sweet voice.

The necromancer didn't even hesitate, nodding and striding towards Vex.

Vex reluctantly handed her hi scythe. "Alright, just go behind her and place the blade against her throat. The curve fits in perfectly. Now, when you want to kill her, just give it a sharp jerk and its over for her."

The scythe looked comically large in her small hands and had to grip close to the blade to be able to hold it up. Grim looked at her, bleary eyed with pain.

"Goodbye Grim, the reaper." 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Only four more chapters to go! Sorry for the short chapter, but i'm going to update right after this.