25. Good Cop, Bad Cop (aka Good Angel, Bad Demon)

Start from the beginning

"Yes, you did."

I sigh. "Look, I know the idea of me being a demon makes you uncomfortable. But, this is going to benefit us all. So far, it has."

"You've murdered."

"Those men deserved it, and you know it, Cas." I sniff. "They were monsters. The worst kind are human nowadays. They make creatures like us seem like kittens." I see Cas flinch out of the corner of my eye. "And, hey, when we bag ourselves a demon, I'll be the muscle," I tease, nudging him. "I'll let you be the talker."

We don't spark up much conversation after that. The drive is mostly tense silence that neither of us seems to want to fill.

Once we arrive in Illinois, I heavily rely on my sixth sense to find demon presence.

"Got one," I whisper to Cas. In the dark, I can see the Average Joe with red hair. But I can also see his true face. "I'll bag him, you set up what we need, okay?"

"Be careful."

I kiss Cas firmly on the mouth. "Always am." I hear him sigh after me as I cross the street, nearly being run over by a speeding car.

The man is just idling on the sidewalk, seeming to enjoy the scenery.

"I come in peace," I say as the demon starts.

"Shouldn't be here," the demon hisses. "He could strike any minute."

"Who?"

"Cain."

"Cain?" I repeat slowly. Already, this is going great. "You've seen him?"

"Yeah."

"Wait...why are you afraid of him? Aren't we on the same side?"

The demon scoffs. "Is anyone on the same side anymore?"

I nod in thought. "True." And I sock the demon hard across the face and knock him out. I look around, making sure nobody saw. It's an empty street. Grunting, I heave the demon's body over my shoulders and cross the street.

"Really, Josette?" Cas asks, giving me a disapproving look.

"Hey, unless you had a better plan," I say, adjusting the limp body on my shoulders. "Come on. Let's set up before he wakes up."

Cas and I enter an abandoned building. We get the demon seated in a chair while Cas draws the Devil's Trap around it in red paint. I poke one of my fingers with the angel blade that I've come to use. I see a prick of red. It's still very sharp. Good.

"You still want to be the muscle?" Cas asks me.

"Hey, as long as we got him strapped down, he won't do much," I say. "Besides, he's messing with a Winchester should he choose to pick a fight."

Once Cas gets the trap working, I step into it, sending a hard slap across the demon's face. He starts and glares at me, exposing his own set of black eyes.

"Oh, you bitch," he snarls. "What's the meaning of this?!"

"You were right, bucko, nobody's on the same side anymore." I keep the silver blade at my side. "Now, you're gonna sing, or I'm gonna make you. If you're smart, you'll choose the less painful route."

"What do you even want to know?"

"Cain. Anything you got on him." I circle the chair like a vulture. "His location, preferably."

"Why do you want to know? You want to offer yourself up as a sacrifice to him?"

I roll my eyes. "None of your business why I want to know where Cain is, buddy." I groan, hearing one of the phones ring.

"Gonna answer that?"

"Not at this moment," says Cas.

"You're wasting your time, both of you."

"Just tell us where he is," I snap.

"I don't know where he is. Me and Cain ain't friends like you've convinced yourself we are. He kills demons. Low-level guys like me keep our distance. If you had an ounce of brains in you, you would stay away too."

"You sure about that?" From behind the demon, I cut into his arm with the angel blade.

"All right! All right!"

I scoff. "Chump."

"Easy," Cas tells me. I pout.

"He's been seen, past few months, making passes through Bogg's marsh, one county over," the demon says. "No one knows why, what for. Like I said, we keep our distance."

I move around to the demon, who's lost his black eyes and has them at their normal color. I point the blade tip right in front of his eyes. "And that's all you know."

"Yes. Yes, I swear."

I sigh, lowering the angel blade. The demon exhales loudly in relief. "Okay then." I thrust the angel blade into him, and his screams of pain are music to me. I smirk. "Thanks for your help." As I rip the blade out, I turn, and I've got Cas staring at me. "Oh, like you wouldn't have done it." I begin to walk towards him, but a barrier stops me. Oh, right. The Devil's Trap. "Uh, Cas?"

"You've got the blade, scratch it."

I use the angel blade to scrap off pain to break the barrier. "So, one county over. Up for a field trip, Cassie?"

"How are we going to know where Cain has hit?"

"Oh, I'm sure we'll know when we see it." I go to my phone. Missed call from Dean. I can always reach him once Cas and I find something. "Let's get going."

**Yay, the Cassette duo is back in business! I remember their first case they embarked on together. [proud mother tears]**