25. Good Cop, Bad Cop (aka Good Angel, Bad Demon)

Start from the beginning

"Well, you got them. We'll take my truck, it needs to get some miles on it."

I make sure to pack a bag of weapons, and grab my phone and its charger, before I head out with Cas from the bunker. It feels like old times, with him beside me in the truck. We leave his pale yellow ride at the bunker while I drive off to the road.

"You're driving awfully fast, Josette," Cas notes. "You might want to slow down a bit."

"What, just because you're on borrowed Grace you're suddenly worried if we get into an accident you'll die?"

Cas looks a bit mortified by my answer. "No, I'm more worried about civilians being hurt than myself or you. You never used to drive like this."

"So, you think demons are the way to Cain?" I ask conversationally.

"Why are you avoiding this?"

"What is there to avoid?"

"Something's bothering you. I know what's different about you, but there's something you're not telling me."

"People have to keep some secrets for themselves, Cassie. What's the point of being mysterious if you tell people your entire life story, right down to what you ate as a snack?"

"So you admit you're hiding something."

"Why do you want to know so badly?" I ask.

"I worry about you."

"I appreciate that, Cas, but it's not needed. I'm a big girl."

"I'm not saying that you can't handle your own," Cas defends himself. "I'm worried about you since you escaped Hell. Why you were allowed out."

"Hell's pretty lax because of Crowley, with all he's getting himself pulled into." I shrug. "Guess he either doesn't know or doesn't care that his kingdom lost two prisoners."

"Or...maybe it was intentional."

"What reason would someone have to bust out a Winchester, Cas?"

"I don't know, you tell me."

"How would I know?"

"How do we know that your mind hasn't been altered before you came back?"

I give him an offended side-glance. "Are you saying that I'm a spy for someone?"

"I'm saying it would be nice for me to understand what's going on with you, Josette."

"Cas, you don't need to understand it. You can't."

"Look, I've made a trip to Hell—"

I snort. "You haven't been down there for ten years. I know Hell time is much faster than here, because I know I wasn't gone that long. You haven't been tormented, beaten, cut, pulled at—you haven't been given hope only to have it ripped away from you because demons posed as the people you care about." I shudder. "You can empathize all you want, Cas, but you'll never be able to relate."

"I'm...I'm sorry that it happened to you, Josette. Truly. I had to hear it from Sam, that you...you died."

I quirk my mouth. "I was wondering how that message got to you." I clear my throat.

"If I'd had enough strength in me, I would have come for you. I would have risked everything to pull you out and bring you back."

"Yeah, well, I guess I didn't need it. I got myself out." I hold my head up a little higher.