Ever After

1 year later

I put the boys to bed, both of them exhausted, kissing them goodnight. I had spent my day under the shade of a cabana, mostly hidden behind oversized sunglasses and a flowing coverup, while I watched Lindsey play in the water with the boys, taking short breaks to run up the shore towards me for a snack, where I obsessively rubbed sunscreen on their backs and played with them in the sand.

I hesitated for a moment, watching them both as they slept; Luca tucked neatly into his covers, sleeping on his side with his hands tucked beneath his face, and Matty strewn wildly about, taking up a large percentage of the bed, already knocking his covers off. I smiled, cherishing every second with my growing boys and seeing their individual personalities shine through more and more with each passing day. "Sweet dreams, my little ones," I whispered, gently closing the door behind me. 

The last year had been grueling. Everything personal and professional in my life had been intense and quick- and I felt like I had been going non stop. The album was a hit, a huge relief to all of us, and the tour a success as well. And whisking 2 four year olds on a global rock tour, that's a full time job in itself. But we had grown into our roles, and they suited us well.

I walked out onto the balcony and leaned against the railing. The cool ocean breeze blew my hair off of my shoulders as I started into the dark listening to the waves crash in front of me. The ocean has always been my source of calm and tonight was no different. I had wanted to get away this week, and I had chosen Hawaii as my place of refuge this time. It just seemed appropriate.

Time has flown by. Lindsey had proposed to me a year ago. A year. I couldn't believe it has been that long.

Everything was different now. In many ways things had stayed ultimately the same, but in many ways it had changed. I felt his arms wrap around my waist before I even heard him approach me, planting gentle kisses along my neck.

"Happy Anniversary, Mrs. Buckingham," he whispered into my ear, prompting me to turn around with a smile and a face him.

"Happy Anniversary to you too," I planted a slow kiss on his lips, running my hands up his chest where they ultimately came to rest around his neck.

We had eloped only days after his proposal, flying to Maui just the four of us and exchanging vows in a simple, yet perfect, ceremony and then staying for another week to vacation. I was at a point in my life where I was completely over all the frills associated with a large wedding and I just wanted my life with Lindsey to officially begin. Our relationship continued to grow and was the best it'd ever been. Even with the rigors of the road, he and I had somehow morphed into our easy love, where I could truly just be myself around him. Everything was close to perfect, it was almost as if I was living in a dream.

After returning from the last leg of the tour and still having a few weeks before the boys were due to start back to preschool as four year olds, I had decided it would be the perfect time to celebrate our anniversary with a family trip to our wedding location. I had everything I'd ever dreamed of, really. My heart was so content every night when I lay down and tonight would be no different.

He stood behind me, his head eventually resting on my shoulder. I felt him as he watched me look out to the horizon, a full moon reflecting over the still waters.

"What's in the box," he eventually questioned, breaking the peaceful silence and nodding to the small box I had placed on the outside table, wrapped neatly in dark blue paper with a gold bow.

I moved towards it as he took a seat, leaning back comfortably in the patio chair.

"It's for you," I told him, sitting on his lap and placing one arm around his shoulder as I handed him the box. "Open it."

"I thought we weren't exchanging gifts tonight," he looked at me, caught off guard by the change in plans.

I shrugged my shoulders. "We aren't. Just open it."

He carefully undid the ribbon, and removed the lid, kidding around somewhat, thinking he was opening a small trinket. Once he looked inside, however, he froze. His eyes never wavered from their gaze on box, as he carefully sat it on my lap, gently removing the contents as he stared at it, face frozen, and eyes wide as he sat in utter surprise.

"Steph..." He slowly looked at me, not having to ask the question I knew he was posing.

I smiled and nodded my head, already crying, and watched the tears immediately spring to his eyes as he kissed me deeply, cupping my face as his tears now fell freely.

"Lindsey," I spoke softly. "It's a girl."

The End.

Author's Note: Thank you SO MUCH to each and every one of you for reading. I didn't start out with the intent for this to go for 65 chapters but it did. And I had a blast. You have no idea what your kind words have meant to me throughout the writing process. You guys are seriously THE BEST readers in the world.

And some extra love to DesertStorms for the help with my writers block and for being my sounding board. If you guys are not already reading her AMAZING story After the Fire, click on over to discover- you won't be disappointed :)

And also to S_chamb for some words of encouragement when I needed them most

Thank you, thank you, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us in each of your stories. ❤️❤️❤️