The Moment of Truth

I sipped a cup of tea on the terrace and nibbled at a few bland breakfast foods. Morning sickness hadn't been a huge issue so far in my pregnancy, but I wasn't about to provoke it. I was feeling fantastic- refreshed and relaxed and absolutely full of joy. I slept better than I had in weeks just knowing he was on the way.

I had informed Christine of the previous evenings conversation as soon as I woke up and she went into mother hen mode immediately. She packed her things for her speedy return to England but insisted to stick around this morning to help me do some laundry and a bit of shopping. She had taken excellent care of me, better than I could have wished for, and I was grateful for it. I was really going to miss her company too.

I stirred from my position, gathering our empty plates and moseying into the kitchen to do the dishes. She wished, I dried, and it seemed like her car to the airport for her trip home arrived in the blink of an eye. I'm not going to pretend I cried because of hormones- I was sad to see my friend go, and oh so nervous that it signified seeing Lindsey.

I was overjoyed to see him, I just worried about all the possible feelings he would have when he saw me. And I could only hope they would all be good.

I took a shower, taking my time and enjoying getting ready. I noticed that my complexion was the best it had ever been, my skin smooth and radiant- maybe there was something to this 'expectant glow' thing after all, I thought. I opted to forgo my usual makeup, knowing that Lindsey preferred me without it anyway. I smoothed in some moisturizer and just barely hit my lashes with a light touch of mascara and called it good. I ran my fluffy bath towel over my long, blonde hair and allowed it to dry in natural waves, pinning it lightly back and away from my face like I used to in the early 70s. I gave myself a fresh manicure and pedicure and slipped into a loose sundress.

I'll admit it. I was terrified. I so badly wanted him to want me independently of the babies. And I hoped that he knew how I felt about him before I was pregnant. I didn't want a relationship based on practicality, I wanted one based on the love that we share.  My thoughts were interrupted by a slamming car door.

My heart was racing as I approached the entryway of my home, unable to contain my enthusiasm and throwing open the front door as soon as he approached.

"Lindsey." That was all I was able to choke out as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He quickly dropped his bag and kissed me, holding my face gently in his hands. We didn't even bother to go inside.

"I've missed you so much," I cried. "I'm sorry I was so stupid."

This was not quite how I had planned for this conversation to go, but the truth is never a bad thing.

His thumb lightly stroked my cheek as he leaned his forehead against mine. "Shhhh," he soothes me. "Everything's going to be fine." He grabbed my hand and picked up his bag, walking me inside and kissing me again.

He led me out to the porch, where the moon was barely beginning to rise over the sea. "It really is beautiful here, baby," he told me. "You really have your own slice of heaven."

I nodded in agreement, taking in the view and basking in his placement of his arm securely around my shoulder. "Sit down," I told him, gesturing to the oversized outdoor couch under the veranda. I quickly fluttered about and lit a few candles around us, creating an atmosphere that reminded me of our best day- simple years in our tiny apartment when we only had each other. I began to walk by him when he grabbed my hand, commanding my attention.

"Hey there," I smiled. "I'm just going to grab a sparkling water and I'll be right back."

"You look so beautiful, Steph. Something about you has changed," he told me hesitantly. "Give me a kiss before you go."

I gladly complied and returned quickly, walking up behind him to wrap my arms around his shoulders as he sat in the garden, looking truly relaxed. "Here," I handed him a cold bottle and gave him a quick peck on the cheek."

I rounded the corner to sit next to him, sideways on the couch with my legs crossed under me.

He was watching me. He hasn't stopped smiling. He looked so happy and I was absolutely bursting at the seams to tell him.

"Lindsey," I grabbed his hand and entwined our fingers, unable to mask my smile.

"I love you," he told me and brought my palm to his lips, kissing it lightly.

"I'm pregnant!" I blurted out. Tears of joy escaped from my eyelids as I tried to find all the right words to say, placing my free hand on my swollen abdomen as I watched him sit in a stunned silence. "Lindsey, We're finally having babies."