Change of Plans

The next morning had come all too quickly and it was difficult for me to let go of him, watching him get into the waiting car and drive away. It would only be 10 days, I told myself. I cold do it. I quickly picked up the phone to dial Christine, who gladly returned to keep me company. She had done wonders for my mood, my attitude improving signficantly almost immediately.

The ten days had gone by fairly quickly, I had to admit, and as I sit unde the pergola outside of my bedroom enjoying the quiet night of day nine, I commend myself on a job well done. I can't wait to see him though. I've missed his arms around me, I've missed his reassuring words, his hand protectively on my belly, his sense of humor and everything else about it.

I also swear that I've grown. I'll be six months pregnant tomorrow and I'm always shocked at my silhouette when I walk by the mirror. I'm giant. I mean, really, truely, unsure how physics can even allow this, humongous. My frame hasn't grown much, but my belly is poking out like I didn't even think possible. And there's still three more months left? Are you kidding me, I think to myself. There are beachballs smaller than this. I'm lucky enough that I havent had much swelling at this time, or at least that's the impression I'm under, because honestly I havent seen my feet in a while. The number of people who say the phrase "any minute now," has become obnoxiously high, and at some point I stopped telling them that I still had months to go.

I sighed, pulling a comfortable sun dress over my head and letting it fall away from my body. I smiled. Huge or not, there were two perfect little boys growing inside of me, and that made me happier than I ever knew I could be.

I joined Chris on the patio, eating a rather hearty breakfast. Lindsey was due back tomorrow and I had talked Chris into staying until his arrival. It had been years since they had seen each other, and I was having such a wonderful time with my friend that I didn't want her to leave prematurely.

The afternoon had turned into evening and I sat in the nursery, perched on the rocking chair that had been delivered with the rest of the furniture the day prior sorting through a few of the tiny new outfits that Christine and I had purchased the day prior.

The nursery was coming together nicely and was pretty much ready, less a few last minute items. It was fairly simple, but I loved it. It was perfect for my two little princes, soft and gentle. I smiled at the two tiny stuffed animals that Lindsey has brought with him for the boys, which remained pretty much the only toys that we had amassed at this point.

I heard the phone ring and I quickly got up, calling an "I've got it," across the house towards Christine as I knew it would more than likely be Lindsey.

I couldn't fight back a smile when I heard his voice. "Hey you." I swear, I immediately turned into a giddy schoolgirl when he was on the other end of the line.

I could tell something was troubling him. It had been for the last few days and he was terrible at hiding his emotions when something bothered him. After minimal prying he explained to me that rehersals weren't going well. He had mentioned this nightly, that the band was struggling to find their flow and the managers and executives were not at all pleased with where they were.

"I- I don't knw what to say, Stevie. They want me to stay and reherse instead of taking the days off to come see you. They think we aren't ready."

My chin was dangerously close to quivering but I stayed strong. "And what do you think, Linds?"

He clearned his throat and contemplated before answering honestly. "I think that we need the addtional practice, But I also think that shouldn't come at the expense of my time with you. I want to get back to you as soon as possible."

I sghed. "If there's anyone in the world who understands your predicment, Lindsey, it's me. And I know that we just had this conversation, and God do I miss you, but you need to do what you need to do- and it sounds lik you need to stay and reherse. Thank you for being honest with me, but I know you'll be upset if your music isn't up to your standards for this tour."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, I'm serious. I don't want to be apart from you but what can we do? Stay and reherse, Lindsey, We will figure something out."

He was questioning me, and rightfully so. "If I don't get back to Italy on this break, its going to be another seven weeks before we see each other, do you understand that? Seven weeks before I'm back for good, and you will be very close to your due date."

I laughed a bit. "I understand. Lindsey, go. I'll need  you when they're here, and when you come home I want you to be 100%  here for the boys, not thinking about the what ifs." I realized that I had just used the word home for him, and it fit well. "Karen will have your things delivered and we will be all ready for you when you arrive."

"You're amazing, do you know that?" He was clearly dumbfounded at how well I was taking this. "I'm going to miss you so damn much."

The call ended a short while later. I hoped that he understood that I was sincere in my sentiment. I would miss him, though. And I hoped he knew how proud I was of his new music. I sat on the bed for a moment contemplating and before I knew it I was on the phone with Karen, putting my plan to work.