Innocent Conversations

I placed the last of the meticulously folded tops into my oversized trunk, closing the lid as I was finished packing for the night. Matty and Luca were asleep in my bed, but I crawled in next to them, not bothering to move them back to their rooms, watching them sleep and wondering when they got so big.

We had returned to Italy 10 days ago, as I needed to take care of a few things before meeting the band in France to record. Lindsey would be here in the morning to spend a few a little bit of time with the boys before we were off, my mother agreeing to watch the kids while we were away.

Mick had rented a large chateau with enough room for tiny visitors, but knowing how this process usually went for the five of us, Lindsey and I thought it would be best to keep the kids a bit distanced. They would be coming for frequent visits though, because this Mama wouldn't be able to stand being away for so long.

The next few days would be mayhem around here, a full house with Lindsey and I likely already in artist mode- I still hadn't had the nerve to show him all of my work, and I was just perfecting a few last minute demos.

Nothing had yet come from my ultimatum with Lindsey, though I didn't really expect it to be a fast process. We had left California shortly after I told him what I wanted and I hadn't mentioned it again. I'd be seeing him soon though, and I knew that his decision would be obvious. I wasn't going to push him, and if he truly wanted to be with me I wouldn't have to.

I dozed off at some point, waking only slightly when I felt a blanket being pulled over me and be lamp beside my table being clicked off.

"Goodnight," he whispered, kissing my forehead as I groggily rolled over and fell back into a deep slumber.

It was only the next morning that I realized Lindsey had arrived early and tucked me in last night, peeking into his open door in the guest room before I gently closed it to let him sleep while the rest of us ate toast and fruit on the porch.

The boys were both ecstatic to see him when he woke, shouting and running towards him as he picked them both up, greeting them and immediately beginning to rough house with them.

"Daddy, we got a new soccer ball," Luca shouted as they both ran to retrieve it.

Lindsey leaned over to give me a quick peck on the cheek.

"Hey, angel, you look gorgeous," he smiled, standing up but leaving his hands on my shoulders as the boys returned.

He poured a cup of coffee and we caught up a bit, the boys finishing their breakfast and begging Lindsey to take them to the beach. He agreed and I sent the 3 of them on their way so I could finish getting ready to move to the studio.

My mother arrived that afternoon while the boys were still away, and I was thankful for a few hours just the two of us. She knew what was going on with Lindsey and I needed a sounding board at the moment. She let me talk and she listened intently, for which I was appreciative. She had always been fond of Lindsey and that was reassuring in my mind as well. There was no doubt about the love between us, that was for sure.

"It's now or never, my dear," she patted my hand. "Don't waste any more time, those boys are growing up so quickly and you two have been in love for twenty years. It's time to let yourselves be happy."

She was right.

The boys returned not much later, Lindsey having stopped off for takeout that evening to bring us all dinner. Luca and Matty were exhausted after a day in the sun so we quickly sat the table to prep for dinner, Lindsey pulling me into the next room while the kids were busy greeting their Grammy.