Apology (Part 4)

Weeks passed and Donghyuk spent every day in the hospital. He has been studying June's notes. Lisa sent him notes too because she thought that he might understand it better because she knows how hard it is to read June's. He kept passing and acing the exams even when he relies only to their notes and some books. They even laughed at June for having lower scores than Donghyuk.

There are days that he was allowed to go to the hospital's garden with the portable medical ventilator attached to him so he could breathe well. Donghyuk go there every time he is not feeling too weak. He would take pictures with his camera.

Every Wednesday, there's an event for kids who have cancer on the 2nd floor of the hospital. The nurses allow Donghyuk to play with them because they already know him since he greets everyone he met at the hospital. The kids with cancer loved him and play with him all the time. Donghyuk would also tell them to keep strong and encourage them to eat a lot. He loved taking selca with the kids. Their love for him makes him feel less scared of whatever might happen to him.

One afternoon, his doctors came to his room to have a look on him. It is noticeable that Donghyuk is losing a lot of weight. The area under his eyes was darker. Both his parents were there.

"We reviewed your results and I regret to tell you that it does not look good." One of the doctors said.

"How much time do I have left?" Donghyuk asked. It was a question that his parents never wanted to hear so it broke their hearts. Donghyuk felt really scared, but he didn't want to show it to his parents since his mom is already crying.

"At this rate, it would be a miracle if you make it for a month."

Those words crushed him. He thought about all the things that he still wanted to do: graduate, travel the world, and capture all the good moments. Seeing his mother breakdown made him more depressed.

"Yaaa omma! Don't cry please. I will make it to Christmas I promise and we'll prepare your recipe for bulgogi just like we used to do." Donghyuk tried to cheer her mother up even if he was unsure of anything. His father tried to comfort her as well.

"Honey, I believe that our son is the strongest person alive. Please believe in him too." His father said. Donghyuk smiled brightly at his mom and dried her tears.

✿ ✿ ✿

During the weekend, Donghyuk's hospital room was crowded because everyone was there: Bobby, Jennie, June, Lisa, Chanwoo, Yunhyeong, Jinhwan, Jisoo and Rose. They all heard from his mother about what the doctor said.

Yunhyeong suggested a popular pulmonologist in Rochester, Minnesota. He said that his parents were willing to help him get there and pay for all the expenses. Everyone was agreeing to Yoyo's suggestion. Donghyuk's parents were really grateful and happy for the offer because it gave them hope.

"What do you say, Dongie?" Yunhyeong asked.

"It's really a great offer, but I don't know if my body could really take the travel." Donghyuk said with a smile. Hearing this made all of them sad. He continued, "I just want to enjoy my remaining days with my family and with you guys. I know there's no cure for my sickness and I've been trying different treatments ever since. I just... want to go home."

They all accepted his decision even if it was hard. They each gave him a hug and kept on giving him encouraging words. Jennie couldn't look at Donghyuk directly because she knows that she has a weak spot for him ever since she met him.

Yunhyeong's parents then paid for all medical units that he needed for him to be able to go home. Donghyuk's parents could not thank them enough because they couldn't afford it. After all the preparations, Donghyuk was finally discharged from the hospital. Donghyuk was really excited because he could finally go home with his parents and see his room again.

When he arrived at their house, everyone shouted, "Welcome home!"

The whole gang prepared a small celebration for their dear Donghyuk. There were a lot of decorations and all his favourite foods were prepared by Jinhwan and Rose. Donghyuk took a lot of pictures with his camera. He never wanted to forget about this day. It was the day that he could honestly say that he's not afraid.

"Gomawo."