Wait for Me (Part 4)

It has been weeks after the vacation. Bobby and Chanwoo almost don't leave the hospital now because their dad's condition worsened. The doctors confirm that it wouldn't take long. They said that it would be a miracle if for him to be even awake. Bobby just goes out of the hospital from time to time just to check on the business or to get some food for him and Chanwoo.

Today, he had to stay at the business to meet some potential clients. He went back to the hospital at 9pm. He entered the room and saw Chanwoo playing games on his phone.

"I saw Donghyuk coming out of the Hospital, but it looks like he was in a hurry. Did he visit?" Bobby asked.

Chanwoo put down his phone and replied, "Yes. He just went to see dad for a while and gave me dinner as well. Have you eaten already?

"Yes. I brought you some too, but don't worry. You could just save this for midnight snack." Bobby placed the food on the table and noticed the basket of fruits. "Are these from Donghyuk?"

"Oh! I completely forgot to tell! It's from Jennie noona. She's here earlier too. I think she said she wanted to talk to you, but she had to leave early."

Bobby was really curious what Jennie had to say. It might be important that she didn't just send the message through the phone. After a couple of hours, Chanwoo have fallen asleep on the sofa, while Bobby was reviewing some files on his laptop. It was all about the business. His dad suddenly woke up. Bobby was shocked because the doctor said that it would be a miracle. He went to his bedside at once.

"I think this is the end for me, son." He said weakly.

Bobby felt his pain and the effort his dad put into just saying those words. It was so hard to see him that way.

"Do you want me to wake him up?" Bobby asked.

"No. Let him be. I already talked a lot with him since he visits me a lot when he got into the university."

Bobby looked down. He was upset because it made him realize that he should've checked on his dad more often. He was too busy with school and business, but all he could ever do was regret.

"You know what, he looks up to you so much." He smiled at Bobby and continued, "He always tells me that he wanted to be as tough as you."

His dad was really weak so he had to catch his breath in between sentences.

"I know we don't talk much even before I got sick, but I've always wanted to tell you that I am proud of you, son. I'm sorry that I'm not much of a father. Take this." He handed Bobby a small notebook.

"Don't say that." Bobby started to cry. He always wanted validation from his dad, but never got it when he was a kid.

His dad closed his eyes with a smile on his face and just like that, the heart monitor beeped. Chanwoo was alarmed by the beeping. He saw his brother crying for the first time.

Bobby looked at him and said with a cracked voice, "H –He's gone."

After Chanwoo's first tear rolled his cheek, the stream of tears were unstoppable. It's always painful for Bobby to see his younger brother that way. Bobby hugged him tightly and they wept together.

Chanwoo remembered the last time that Bobby hugged him like that. It was back when they were kids and another kid pushed him on the playground. Bobby bravely fought the kid even when the kid was older than him. The other kid ran, Bobby took care of his brother and hugged him.

Bobby's hug right now made Chanwoo feel the same way that he did back then. He felt...

Safe.