Chapter Eleven

The Cute Weird Boy Will Be Mine

May 27th 2013

_______________________________________

Chapter Eleven - Felix Zimmerman

I could feel Grams watchful gray eyes on me while I poked at one of the five pieces of broccoli with my fork and then moved onto poke at one of the eight long green beans.

''You got to eat your greens, Felix. They're really good for you.''

''But they taste gross.''

''You'll just have to learn to tolerate them, dear. Maybe, you'll even learn to like them.'' I doubted that.

''Why I got to eat so much anyhow?'' I grumbled and sunk lower in the oak wooden dining chair I sat on across from Grams who continued to stare me down with an empty porcelain plate seated on the matching oak table in front of her.

''It's a healthy portion, dear. Now come on, eat up and then we can start on your homework.'' She insisted and I reluctantly complied without another protest.

I stabbed my fork through a piece of broccoli and hesitantly brought it up to my open mouth. I squeezed my eyes shut and took the piece of broccoli into my mouth and began to chew the gross vegetable. I made a face while I chewed and with a shiver, I swallowed the thoroughly chewed mouthful and began the process of eating another piece of broccoli all over again and then another and another until I had one piece of broccoli left.

Ugh, I really did not like the taste or texture of broccoli.

''Good, and don't forget your green beans.''

Ugh, I really did not like the taste or texture of green beans either and honestly, I didn't like the taste or texture of any vegetables besides corn because corn was delicious and sweet. Though, I didn't like canned corn, that stuff was gross.

The home phone began ringing. With a sigh, Grams slowly heaved herself up from the oak chair she sat on and carefully ambled over towards the cream corded phone that hung on the wall by the entrance of the kitchen. She picked up the phone and held the device up to her ear.

''Hello?'' She asked and then paused, listening to the person on the other line. ''Let me ask him.'' I straightened up in my seat as Grams turned around to face me with the phone held against her baby blue night grown covered chest. ''It's your mom.''

''I don't want to talk to her.'' It's why I had been ignoring all of her phone calls and text messages the last few days.

Grams frowned, but gave a stiff nod before she brought the phone back up to her ear. ''He doesn't want to talk, so—Natalie. He said no and do not call back tonight, now goodnight.''

With that, Grams placed the corded phone back into it's cradle on the wall and made her way back over to the table. She carefully lowered herself back down into the oak chair she once occupied. I lower my gaze and stared down at the rest of the green vegetables I had yet to eat.

''What did she do, Felix?'' Grams asked in concern. ''You don't turn down her calls.''

''Just...didn't feel like talking to her is all.'' I mumbled.

''I didn't raise a fibber.''

I could feel my cheeks heat up and my eyes begin to sting. ''No, you didn't.''

''Then tell me what happened, dear. I know she did something.'' I swallowed at the sudden lump in my throat and reached up to wipe away a rogue tear that managed to slip from my right under eyelid. ''Oh my, what did she do?''