Chapter Three

The Cute Weird Boy Will Be Mine

May 7th 2013

_______________________________________

Chapter Three - Ridley King

Ethwood stood as silent and stoic as our mother's grave.

I wanted to reach down and take his small hand into mine and comfort my little brother, but he no longer liked being touched out of the blue, now he preferred to ignited the contact himself, and nor did he speak for that matter. Not since the day our mom took her own life and he found her...

His scream still haunts me to this day, and on some days it echoed in my mind tauntingly.

I hated those days because after the scream of my little brother surfaced, the image of our mom hanging by a cord in her closet, dangling but limp with wide horror stricken eyes, mouth agape and pale gray skin seared my mind.

I had reached for Ethwood, trying to turn him away from a sight no five year old child should ever see, but he had already seen the awful sight of the woman he called mom and I knew it was going to be burned into his brain for the rest of his life and that was something I couldn't change.

Even with all the money I had now which I had spent on a handful of therapists for Ethwood in hopes of them helping him, but he refused to talk about the event—refused to talk in general. He no longer had a voice, or rather, he no longer used his voice but instead communicated in sign language which I had both myself and him learn after a few months of his silence because he couldn't not have a voice.

I knew he needed a way to talk and using sign language was the next best option.

But even with the knowledge of sign language, he rarely communicated with anyone—including myself. I was no expert in sign language, but I knew enough to read his hands whenever he did decide to talk to me and I tried my best to learn a new sign or two every night before I went to bed.

''Do you think we could call it a day, Ethwood?'' I asked because we'd been standing in silence, staring at her headstone for an hour and a half now, and well the weather was absolutely lovely with a slight chill in the air; having the sun beam down was starting to take a toll on not only my fair skin but Ethwood's as well.

He gave a quiet sigh and reached his right hand up to his mouth and pressed a kiss to his fingers before he pressed those fingers to the top of her headstone and then turned his attention onto me expectantly with those big blue eyes of his and I stared back at him for a few moments.

He had opted to grow out his sandy blonde hair which was currently up in a sloppy bun, save for a few strands that had managed slip loose with the help of the breeze and the strands of blonde hair framed his cute, round cherub face.

''Let me hug you.'' I asked quietly, unable to stop the words that spilled from my mouth because I was desperate to hold him against me and provide him comfort like I use to do before her abrupt passing.

''Kiss her grave.'' He signed, overlooking what I had said.

''I'll kiss her grave for a hug from you.''

Ethwood gave a slow shake of his head before he began pointing his finger at her headstone.

''I'm not gonna kiss her grave, Ethwood.'' Because she ruined you. ''Not until you hug me or let me hug you, please.''

He stared at me, only now his expression was angry and I was surprised when he reached out and shoved at my torso with both of his hands, and while it only caused me to stumble back one step, he didn't give me much time to recover before he was shoving at me again and again.