Chapter 18

When I enter the staffroom the following morning I see Dr. Manning making a coffee. I quickly put my things away and then walk up to her. As I start making a coffee for myself I say, "I'm sorry about yesterday Natalie. I know that you were just trying to help."

"It's totally alright. I do understand. I'm curious though, why were you so insistent upon treating that particular patient?" She replies with a soft smile.

"He's my little brother. I've always looked out for him and I suppose I couldn't stand the thought of someone else treating him."

She chuckles and says, "I can appreciate that. I never would've guessed that you two were siblings though. The two of you look nothing alike."

I laugh and reply, "That much is true. We're half-siblings. We have the same mom but different dads and we both look more like our dad's."

Natalie laughs and then her pager goes off. She excuses herself and then exits the staffroom. I add cream and sugar to my coffee and then head out to the main desk.

A few hours later, after caring for several patients, I head to the breakroom for a small pause in my already hectic day. As I take a seat at the table Will walks in and sits across from me. We sit in silence for a few minutes and then he says, "I overheard you and Manning talking this morning. Would you mind telling me more about your family?"

I chuckle and say, "That is a long story for another time Will."

He thinks for a moment and then says, "Could I take you for dinner after our shift tonight? I'll pay for the meal and then you'll be able to tell me more about your family."

I'm about to say yes to Will's offer when I think about what Aspen would do to me if I went for dinner with another guy. Thinking on the spot I say, "I'd love to but my boyfriend Aspen and I already have plans. Could I take a raincheck this round and do it another time?"

He nods and then we get an incoming notice of several car crash victims so we head out to the ER.

----------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! Thank you all for 16 000 reads! I hope that you all have a great week and I promise that the next chapter will be longer! -Becca