Chapter 23

I stretch and yawn as I get out of the bathtub. I didn't have the greatest sleep ever but I'm thankful that I even fell asleep at all with my side the way it is and the fear of Aspen trying to get in. I quickly pull off my pajamas and look at my reflection in the mirror. My left side is beginning to turn red and is very tender and swollen. I know that I won't be able to hide something this big from people so it's only a matter of time until I have to tell someone.

I take a deep breath to calm the influx of emotions that come rushing forward at the thought of that and then put on my scrubs. I quickly style my hair into a ballet style bun and apply a small amount of makeup. I rapidly brush my teeth and then grab my spare change of clothes from under the sink.

I flick off the light in the bathroom and silently open the door. I see that Aspen is out cold on the couch so I tiptoe to the front door and quickly grab my purse, running shoes, and flip flops. I then unlock the apartment door and quietly slip outside into the hallway. I heave a sigh of relief as I slip on my running shoes and go down to my car. I hop in and then pull out of the parking garage and drive to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts.

When I arrive I go up to the drive-thru. When it's finally my turn I order a turkey sausage breakfast sandwich and a large coffee. I finally reach the window and as I take my order from the lady I winch in pain. As she hands me my coffee she says, "You alright hun?"

I nod and say, "I'm all good. I had a tough workout last night."

She nods and then I pull away from the window. I eat my sandwich on the way to work and soon arrive at the hospital. I grab my coffee and purse and then head inside, ready for another shift.

---------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks for 25 200 reads! So I'm going on a leadership retreat next weekend and won't be able to update but I'm planning to update the weekend after that. Thanks for being patient! -Becca