Chapter 15

I walk into my apartment and have to take a deep breath to steady myself when I see Aspen on the couch. I try to sneak out so as to avoid another incident when he says, "Hurry up and get in here."

I nod, knowing that I can't escape now. As I remove my coat and shoes he says, "I've been waiting for you."

"Have you now?"

He nods and says, "Look at this place. It's a mess. Why didn't you clean it up?"

I look at him in disbelief and say, "This is your mess. It's not my job to clean it up, never mind the fact that I was at work all day."

He moves swiftly towards me and kicks my feet out from under me so that I land hard on the floor. He then looks at me and says, "It's your apartment, so you clean it up. You better get to work right now, bitch."

I nod and quickly stand up. I don't say anything as I don't want to upset Aspen any further. I then grab my cleaning supplies and start working. As much as I would like to protest, I'd rather clean up a mess that I didn't make than get hurt again.

When I'm about halfway through cleaning up Aspen's mess he gets up from the couch and says, "I'm going to get more beer."

I nod and he kisses the top of my head as if he hasn't been abusing me for a few months. I simply shake my head at it and continue to clean. After a few minutes I realize that I should probably prepare for if Aspen were to really hurt me and the bathroom was the only place I could get to.

I quickly go to my bedroom and grab a spare change of clothes, an extra pair of scrubs, and a small first aid kit. I then go to the bathroom and hid them all in one of the drawers, under some towels. I then go back out to the main area and finish cleaning.

I make myself a quick supper and take it to my room. Just as I lock the door, I hear Aspen return. I thank my lucky stars as I begin to eat.

------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for 12 400 reads! I hope that you all have a great weekend! -Becca