Chapter 29

I'm on my way to a patient's room when Maggie stops me and says, "Sara, Dr. Rhodes has requested your help up in the OR. April will look after things until you get back."

"Sounds good. Thanks Maggie."

She nods as I walk briskly to the elevator. I go up to the OR and soon arrive to see Rhodes scrubbing in. I quickly throw my hair into a bun, put on a cap, and join him at the sink. As we're washing up he says, "We have a twenty year old car crash victim. Her femoral artery was nicked slightly so time is of the essence."

I nod and after a few seconds of silence he says, "Hey, I uh...I heard about your boyfriend Aspen and what he was doing."

I groan and reply, "Did Will go running his mouth again?"

Rhodes laughs and says, "It's Will, what's new about that? He told me in the staff room earlier this morning. He was really upset that you refused his offer to move in with him."

I sigh and as we enter the OR and put on our scrubs, gloves, and masks I say, "Yea, he was. I just didn't want that whole situation to end the same way it did with Aspen because I know that Will likes me. I couldn't say yes."

Rhodes nods as we head over to the patient. He checks to ensure he has everything he needs and then we begin the surgery. It goes well and after only a couple of little hiccups we get the artery repaired. Rhodes stitches the woman back up and then we exit the OR. As we're cleaning ourselves up he says, "I understand if you don't want to, but would you like to move in with me? I have a spare bedroom and it doesn't have to be for very long. Consider it a landing pad until you find somewhere safe for yourself."

I smile and say, "That sounds like exactly what I need right now. Thank you Conner."

He nods and then I exit. I'm much more comfortable staying with him as I know he's a friend and nothing more so I'm very thankful for the offer. As much as Dr. Charles is nice, I'm not interested in living with a psychologist for longer than I have to.

I soon arrive back in the ER and resume my work there for the next four hours.

---------------------------------

Thanks for 42 300 reads! My Christmas break ends soon so my updates won't be as frequent but I'll do my best to make sure they're not too far apart. -Becca