"Be right back," I told him with a smile, Lindsey already grabbing my hand to practically pull me out to the almost empty patio. "I'm sure it's just a quick something about the kids." With that Don immediately lost interest and struck up a conversation with a producer standing nearby.

"DON HENLEY? Seriously, Stevie? What the fvck?"

"May I help you, Lindsey?"

"What are you doing here with Don Henley? This is what you had to rush off for?"

"Yes, it is, if you must know, and might I add that I don't need your permission to date someone."

"DATE someone? YOU'RE DATING HIM?"

"You're here with Liz, Lindsey, so I really don't see how you can justify having an issue with this. And keep your voice down."

"I don't give a shit who hears me and you know it, Stevie." He began pacing.

I wrapped my arms around myself, the cold wind whipping across the patio on top of the building.

"I'm not avoiding it," I sighed. "We do need to sit down and have a real conversation, just maybe not in front of everyone we've ever worked with."

He took his jacket off, draping it around my shoulders and nodding in agreement.

"You're dating him then?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Not really. We um, you know, see each other sometimes."

"Stop right there," he told me, "I really don't want to know any more."

This is not how I wanted this evening to go. This is not how I wanted things with Lindsey to go.

"So that's Liz then," I asked. I wasn't being condescending, I honestly wanted to know. He said they were nothing serious, just like Don and I, but the girl had been around for 4 years, so I couldn't help but be curious.

He nodded. "I don't even think she realizes that I'm gone."

I looked over at her. He was certainly right, she didn't exactly seem to miss him.

We chatted idly for a few minutes after our privacy was invaded by a group of smokers, unable to talk about anything important as there would be no secrets with this crowd.

"If you're here," I asked, "who's watching Matty and Luca?" I had always been protective, wary of leaving them with anyone I didn't know well for many reasons.

"Lori," he answered curtly. "I wouldn't leave them with someone you didn't trust. Just for a few hours, it won't be a late night for me," he scratched his chin.

"Oh, there you are," I heard from behind me, the voice annoying me to my core immediately. I turned to face Liz, a woman whom I would have been fine never meeting. "Stevie, hi, it's so nice to FINALLY meet you," she shot Lindsey a look and laughed.

I greeted her nicely, giving her the benefit of the doubt. She wasn't holding her liquor very well but other than that actually seemed like a pretty sweet girl, even if I did hate to admit it.

"We should be going, I need to just have a few words with Richard before I leave," Lindsey attempted to wrap up our conversation. "And someone told me Fleetwood should be stopping by for a minute."

I smiled at the thought of seeing my old friend Mick as Lindsey began to steer Liz away, aggravated with her and still unable to keep his eyes off of me. I handed his jacket back to him.

"It was nice to meet you, Liz," I offered.

"It was nice to meet you too. And I just have to say, Luca and Matteo are absolute dolls," she told me.

My blood ran a little cold and I shot a look at Lindsey that would have terrified any man. "You, you've met my boys?" I asked.

"Sure," she told me, clearly unsure why I was asking for clarification. "They're little angels. Oh, excuse me, I have to say hello to Holly before she gets too tied up," and with that she went inside to catch up with God knows who.

"Lindsey!?" I didn't have to say anything else, he knew what was coming. "We had an agreement! New signficant others don't meet the boys until they've met the other one of us! How could you?"

"It's not like that, Stevie, I promise. She dropped forgot a few things at my condo and dropped in unannounced to pick them up when I was there with the boys for a few hours waiting on a repair man, and then another time for like 30 seconds when I had to stop by her office and drop something off. We didn't even get out of the car."

I looked at him long and hard, but knew that he was telling the truth. He and I had our issues, but when it came to our children he wouldn't ever do anything to compromise their well being. I nodded my head and he exhaled, obviously terrified of my wrath as a mother. And he should be.

"You should get back to her," I told him.

"We're okay?" he asked.

"Of course. But Lindsey, about the kids, she's not-"

He shook his head. "No, of course not. She's never set foot in our house. I'll drop her off on my way back. And Steph, you look beautiful tonight, by the way." He re-entered the crowded room, grabbing a drink at the bar and joining Liz before I lost sight of them.

I sighed, wondering how I even got into this mess to begin with, returning inside to Don. The evening wore on, but I was quickly losing interest, most of my friends heading home for the evening. Eventually I had had enough, calling myself a car and saying goodnight to my date who had no interest of calling it a night any time soon.

I gave the driver the address and watched the streetlights go by as I sat back into the plush leather seat. Once at the front door I realized I didn't have my keys, knocking and hoping it would be answered.

The door swung open and I practically leaped into Lindsey's arms, not wanting to waste even one second. I had to have him. I hadn't stopped thinking about him all day. He kissed me like he needed me, closing the door behind him.

"I thought you..." he began, searching my eyes.

I kissed him quickly, ignoring my better judgement and pretending like I wasn't being insanely territorial. "Just tonight." I told him huskily, already close to breathless just being this near to him. "I need you. No strings. Please, baby, take me upstairs."