25 Days [Teaser]

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

"Cancer," the doctor said. "Stage two, Chondrosarcoma. We're truly sorry," he pursed his thin lips. I simply let a smile cross my lips despite the fact I felt no happiness. "Thank you," I managed to say.

"Will she be okay?" My mother asked the man, and then suddenly a look of regret and pain crossed his features, and then I knew that I wouldn't be okay. "She doesn't have very long," he said. "Twenty six days."

"Twenty six," I repeated. "Is that an estimation?"

"Yes," he said sorrowfully. "And can you estimate how long she may have had this?" My mother inquired, rubbing circles onto my wrist.

"A few months," he replied. "Maybe four or three. I'm so sorry."

My mother looked at me with pain in her eyes, "I love you, okay? Cancer won't change that. I'm gonna spend all that time with you and—" she choked back a sob. "And so will Scott, Mitch, Kevin, and Avi. Okay? I love you so much," she closed her eyes and gripped onto my wrist. I pulled her in for a hug,

I whispered, "I know, momma," and then I felt tears prick my eyes. "I know."

After some silence, the doctor was gone and my sleeve was tear soaked and so was my mother's shirt. "How am I going to tell the guys?"

"Honey, I will if you'd like," she promised, but I didn't want her to. "No," I responded. "I'll tell them. I need to."

She nodded with a small sigh, "Alright. Come on."

***

"Mitch. Scott. Avi. Kevin," I said slowly. "I have some news. It's not exactly good."

They stared at me, waiting. "You guys know about the pains I've been having, right? And I've been weak recently?"

They all nodded, and Avi's eyes suddenly flashed with an emotion I've never seen before as his eyes became bigger. "I went to the hospital to check it out. I'm sick."

"Sick?" Mitch asked. I took a deep intake of breath before replying. "I have stage two of Chondrosarcoma. It's a bone cancer. I become effectively weak and it will continue to get worse," I explained, and all of them except Kevin and Avi seemed surprised.

Before I could speak, Avi did. "We knew," he said, gesturing to Kevin and him. "We researched your symptoms. We knew something bad was up."

"We didn't want to say anything because we aren't doctors, though," said Avi. He closed his eyes briefly, then opened them again, "We prepared ourselves for this. Did they happen to tell you how much time you've got left?"

I nodded, looking down for a moment. "Twenty six days."

Avi's eyes widened a bit more, "That's it?"

I nodded again, a tear falling off of my cheek. "Yes."

Mitch stifled his cries, hugging onto Scott for dear life. I walked up to them and embraced them into a big hug as I heard Avi's sniffles and shaky breaths. "Don't worry," I said.

"Starting tomorrow we're going to make this the best twenty five days I've ever had, okay?" I declared. "Today I'll make a bucket list. One thing every day for twenty five days."

"I'm not ready for this. This better be the slowest twenty five days," Kevin muttered, still holding onto me. I chuckled, "Of course."

Handling the fact that you know you're going to die in twenty five days is a bit unsettling. Knowing you have four friends on the way of the journey is settling. I'll get through this. They will, too. Somehow.

***

"I'm done!" I grinned, shoving the paper to Avi. He laughed, taking it from me as I read along with him.

1. Do karaoke

2. Zip line

3. Skydive

4. Swim in the ocean

5. Own a dog or cat

6. Learn to play the guitar

7. Kiss someone

8. Visit Las Vegas

9. Sing somewhere publicly (not karaoke. Park, restaurant, etc)

10. Sleep under the stars

11. Conquer a fear

12. Volunteer at a soup kitchen

13. Eat something gross

14. Pull an all-nighter

15. Spend the night somewhere "haunted"

16. Leave a stranger a nice note

17. Ride in a limo

18. Give lunch to a homeless person

19. Get in a water fight

20. Fall in love

21. Go stargazing

22. Go on an aimless drive

23. Spend time with Scott, Mitch, Kevin, Avi, and Mom

24. Write goodbye letters

25. Die

"This all seems so fun," he smiled. "We can cross 23 off, right?"

"Nope, not yet," I smiled. "On the twenty third day. That's when."

"You have all this planned out, don't you?" He teased. I shrugged, "It didn't take me long," I reasoned. "Whatever you say. Now who would you fall in love with on 20? I don't want you to fall in love with a stranger," he frowned. "I'm not sure," I replied. "It's fine if I don't complete that one."

"You have to. If we need to, we'll set up blind dates for you and some random guys," he smirked, but I shoved him playfully. "No!"

"Alright, alright. Calm down," he chuckled. "Let's talk to the others about this. And Kirstie? I'm sorry. For not telling you about what I did."

"It's fine, Avi. Don't worry about it. I would've been curious, too. I don't even think I would've listened to what Google said, anyhow," I winked, and he rolled his eyes, "But I was right!"

"About cancer. Not the type of it," I clarified. "Whatever," he scoffed, but clearly wanted to talk about anything else. "So how about we get started?" I lightly elbowed my best friend. He looked to me, a faint smile on his lips. "Sure thing."

***

a/n:: !!!!!!!

i can't wait to start 25 Days tbh. i hope I do well lol!