Scratchy Throat

Scratchy Throat

TheCheesonOne ©

Kirstin Maldonado's POV

It's hard to sing with a scratchy throat. I'm not sick, surprisingly, but I've been talking and singing all day. Everyone is exhausted, physically. Kevin said his jaw hurts, Scott said he accidentally bit his tongue during his solo, Mitch said the high notes affected his throat a little, and Avi... well, it's hard for me to talk to him. I always end up blushing or stuttering. I've had a crush on him for a while, but it's only a crush.

"Kirstie?" Avi tried to gain my attention. I snapped out of my thoughts and into reality, "Yes?" I asked. "I asked you if you wanted me to drive you to your house. I know you walked here," he pointed out. I did need a ride... I sighed, "Alright. Thank you." He nodded as if saying, "You're welcome."

Avi led me to his car. "Are you as exhausted as all of us? Practicing Can't Sleep Love for six hours hurts." He stated while getting in. I got in and nodded, "Definitely. My throat is so scratchy, which explains my voice right now," I laughed. "I'll help you find some medicine at your house." He smiled. I was about to say that he didn't have to, but I figured staying silent is better than arguing with Avi. I took a cd out of my bag and waved it in my hand, "Pentatonix, volume 2?" I smirked. I saw his smile and that was a yes. I quickly slid it in.

As we listened to our own voices, I found myself smiling widely and dancing slowly but seated. Avi glanced at me and I saw his small smile. Is that good? Does he like me? Would he ever like me romantically? Is liking me even possible?

Eventually, we made it to my house. "I'm going to help you find medicine," he stated, getting out of the car. I sighed and got out myself. I opened the door with my key, petting Olaf when he excitedly threw himself at me. I kept telling him he was a good boy and repeatedly pet him.

"Medicine." Avi smiled at Olaf and pet him. I got up, "Fine."

We both walked into my kitchen. We looked in the medicine cabinet together. I squinted my eyes, searching for that throat numbing stuff. We were very close and my heart was beating rapidly. I was short, 5'3, and I couldn't reach. I got on my tippy toes, trying to reach it. I looked at Avi and noticed he was staring at me, emotionless. "Avi?" I tried to gain his attention.

He suddenly put his hands on my waist and was closer than he already was. His eyes went to my lips and I swear he might just kiss me.

He was leaning in. Oh my god, is this gonna happen? We jumped at the sound of a phone ringing. He looked down and sighed, grabbing his phone out of his pocket and answered, "What?"

Avi Kaplan's POV

"What?" I may of said a little rudely.

"Whoa, Avi, chill. It's Mitch." Mitch slightly laughed. "Sorry, what do you need? I was in the middle of something important." I said. "Okay, well, Scott, Kevin and I want to go eat and drink later, in celebration of practicing for, what? Eight hours?" I could see Mitch smiling.

"Are you gonna invite Kirst?" I asked, curious as to if this was a guys night or not. "Sure." Mitch answered. I smiled, "I'll bring her." I hung up, looking at Kirstie.

"The guys asked if we wanted to go eat and drink. Wanna go? We won't if you don't want to." I smiled at her.

She bit her lip, deciding, "We'll go."

"Are you sure? We don't have to go, Kirst. We can stay here and do whatever you want." I said. She blushed and I realized what she might've been thinking, "No--not like that..." my cheeks burned and I didn't look at her.