One Year

a/n:: so many bad things are happening. christina grimmie's death, and then the gay club in florida being shot up. 50 dead, 53 injured. let's hope the usa will improve sometime. dedicated to the recent tragedies. i'm also gonna take a small break. i'll be back soon.

Kirstie Maldonado's POV

"It's been a year since Avi Kaplan's death," another radio station switch. "A year since Avi's unfortunate death," yet another. "Avi Kaplan's first death anniversary—" switch.

Instead of me continuing to repeatedly switch the radio, I just muted it. I gripped the steering wheel a bit tighter, hoping maybe I'll focus on the road in front of me, but it was hard. "Get over it," they said. "He's not as famous as Adele or someone."

Famous. Right. I'm famous. We're famous. I have a job to do. No need for mourning over his death. Do the job.

I took a moment to breathe as I pulled into the parking lot, telling myself that my best friend was gone and there's no need to keep myself dwelling on it forever. So I need to forget.

"Hey, guys!" I gave them all a cheeky smile as I walked in. Mitch, Scott, and Kevin all looked at me. Kevin's eyes were red and the other two looked like they hadn't slept in days. It was just rehearsals. We'll get over it. We're ready to be Pentatonix again. Except without one member.

"Hi," Scott meekly greeted back. Mitch and Kevin never responded. We all stayed in a silence - whether it was awkward or not, it almost made me start to cry about how we're all so distant. About how Avi died. I closed my eyes for a second, the only thing I saw being Avi and how his death occurred.

"Avi? What are you doing? It's almost three in the morning, no fans are gonna be out there at this time!" I yawned at the bearded man. "I'm gonna check! I saw a few people wearing Pentatonix shirts. I want to surprise them, you know? Why don't you come with me?"

"With you?" I sighed. "Fine, fine. Give me a second," I said, hopping out of the bunk bed and brushing through my hair before slipping a hoodie over my tank top. "Let's go," I ran a hand through my blond hair. He grinned, then offered his hand. I looked at it, then chuckled before taking it in my own.

Once we were outside of the bus, a few fans came up to us with big smiles. We hugged a few, took a picture with most, and talked to them all. "Hi!" I grinned at one of them. He seemed to be older than all of them, but a fan's a fan, right?

Avi smiled at the two of us, and I smiled back. "What's your name?" I asked him. "I'm Felix," he said in a bored manner, then stuffed his hands in his hoodie pockets. Avi seemed to tense for a moment, "Well, we have to go. It was nice meeting you, Felix," Avi rushed him, then grabbed my hand, pulling me to the bus again. He made sure I was in front of him, seemingly away from Felix, and I didn't know why.

All of a sudden, I heard a gunshot sound, and then I froze. I wasn't hit.

I slowly looked behind myself, seeing Felix but no Avi. I looked down, and there he was. Bloody. Breathing heavily. Holding his chest.

I looked back up to Felix, but he was gone. I didn't see him. I quickly sat down next to Avi, applying pressure to the wound, and tears built up in my eyes but I refused to break down at that moment. "Hey, Avi? Remember when I told you that we shouldn't have done this? Yeah," I rambled, and then the bus shook, and then four people I wanted to see the most came out: Esther, Scott, Kevin, and Mitch.

Esther froze for a split second before whipping out her iPhone and screaming into it after a few seconds, demanding an ambulance while Kevin helped me with Avi. Scott kept looking around, as if he was looking for the man that hurt him, and Mitch was simply staring at us three.