Threat

The next day Kol continued to harass her. He even went as far as to try to sit with her at lunch. Unfortunately for him, there weren't any seats. Caroline smiled at Kate.

"What?" she asked with a mouth full of burger.

"I was thinking..." Caroline started.

"You're about to get roped into something," Stefan whispered. Caroline flashed him a look.

"You should help with the dance!" she squealed.

"I don't think-"

"Please! Come on, we could really use the touch of someone who was actually there! Please, for me!" she pleaded. Kate tried to stay strong, but the innocent look on Caroline's face was too convincing.

"Okay, fine, just stop looking at me like that."

"Yay! Just come to the gym after school today so we can discuss decorations," Caroline chirped before skipping off.

"When does that girl not have any energy?" Kate asked. Suddenly, Kol plopped down in front of her.

"What are you doing here?" Bonnie snarled.

"There was an empty seat, and I had nowhere else to sit. What can I say? You lot seemed friendly," he smirked. Kate glared at him.

"Well if you're staying, I'm leaving," she said before sauntering off.

Kate walked into history and sat down, hoping to get through this class quickly. Unfortunately, there was a substitute today, which meant it was social hour. Kate gathered her things to go talk to Bonnie, Elena, and Caroline when a leather pursed slammed down on her desk. Rebekah stood over her, giving her a sick smile.

"Let's chat," she suggested. Kate sat back, realizing she wasn't getting out of this.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"Why are you treating Kol like this?"

"Like what?"

"Like he's some sort of monster," Rebekah snarled. Kate couldn't help but laugh.

"Really? I thought I explained to you what he did to me. I've just gotten to the point that I can see you every day and not run for the hills."

"You loved Kol, and what was it you used to say? Love never dies."

"No, but people do and become blood-sucking monsters. Your brother being the worst of them all. Honestly, you aren't looking so good right now either."

"Go to the dance with him," Rebekah demanded.

"There's no way in hell-"

"Do it, or I'll rip Damon's heart out." Rebekah smiled like she had won something.

"You think that'll work? Honey, I just met him a few weeks ago. Do it, and see if I care. All it'll do is make me leave faster. Besides, what if I enlightened Klaus on your little threat? You and I know he would protect anyone to keep me here."

Rebekah was silent for a moment. "You think you can hide behind my brother forever?"

"Not forever, but until I'm ready to play."

Kate walked into the gym after her talk with Rebekah. Caroline was directing some football players when she saw Kate. "Kate!" she waved. Kate walked over and grinned.

"It looks great."

"Hardly, I need your opinion: Chandelier or no?" she asked.

"Chandelier. The twenties were all about extravagance," a voice chimed from behind. Kate whipped around to meet Kol.

"What are you doing here?" she asked through gritted teeth.

"I came to see what color your dress was so we could coordinate," he joked. Kate rolled her eyes and turned back to Caroline, but she'd gone off on a plastic cup emergency.

Kol just stood there with a stupid grin on his face.