c h a p t e r 44

Nick's POV~

Aubrey was in horrible condition. I could see the light in her soft hazel like eyes fading away. I felt how ice cold her skin was. Her breathing was slowing down second by second and my heart snapped slowly. The girl I love has a really good chance of dying. And I couldn't save her.

I spent eight and a half hours sitting in the waiting room, Courtney and the others had joined me. Jess was in tears, while Courtney held her in a tight embrace. Alex kept telling me to think positive and not to think about other possibilities. How the fuck am I suppose to do that? It's reality, not some fucked up romantic movie. Aubrey might die and I can't live without her.

"She went back for my kids and sacrificed her life for them. If she doesn't live, I swear-" Courtney sobbed, excusing herself to go to the restroom.

Alex looked at me and I nodded my head, "She needs you man. That's basically her only sister in there."

Alex patted my back and followed Courtney. Jess looked at me and engulfed me into a big bear hug. I felt her wet tears stain my sweatshirt that Alex gave me and I held her close.

"She's strong, Nick. She's the most courageous person I've ever met. I know she will make it out alive. She has to." Jess smiled and I breathed in.

There she was, Dr. Roth. I looked for any signs of death, but she only had a straight facial expression. She scanned the room and her eyes fell on me. She quickened her pace and took a deep breath.

"You're Mr. Dorran, correct?" I nodded my head.

"You, young man, have saved Ms. Summer's life. She was on a thin fine line between life and death and somehow, you got her here in time. Police have come to file a report and will need you and your friends for their report. But for Ms. Summers, she's going to be okay. We lost her at one point, but her heart began beating ten times stronger and her wounds are fixed. She's in recovery now." Dr. Roth explained and I finally breathed.

Jess smiled like a child on Christmas and hugged me harder than before. I wiped my tears away and ran towards Alex and Courtney. I found her crying on the floor and Alex trying to console her.

"Courtney, can I talk to you?" I ask, she wiped her face and stood up.

"She didn't make it, did she?" She gulped, biting on her lip.

"She did. She made it, Court. She's recovering now. And you and I are going to be the first people she sees." I grin and Courtney gasps.

"My baby sister made it?!" She cried and ran into Alex's arms, smooching his face.

I laughed, breathing a sigh of relief and ran straight into her room. There she was, laying in peace like the perfect angel she is. Her hair resting on her shoulders beautifully and her eyes studying outside. I admired her, looking at how relaxed she was. I must have made a noise because she lost concentration and turned her head, sending the most breath taking smile I have ever seen.

"Hey, Nick." She grinned and patted her bad, instructing me to sit.

"Hey, Aubrey." I said, sitting down and grabbing her hand.

We stared at each other, feeling complete. We were still together, after all that had happened. Aubrey was still here with me and the thought of ever losing her killed me. I was in love with her and I would never change that.

"I thought-" Aubrey hushed me.

"Believe it or not, I'm not going anywhere for a long time." She smiled and pulled me towards her, kissing the day lights out of me.

And I happily accepted it. Our lips moved in perfect synchronization and it made my heart beat ten times faster. It was like I was in heaven with my goddess.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I want to hug the shit out of my sister." Courtney runs in and Aubrey let's go, giggling to herself.

Courtney laid her eyes on Aubrey and sighed, "You flew all the way across the country, risked your life to that monster, just to save my children?"

"Of course, and I would do it all over again on repeat. It was the best choice I could ever make." She explained, tightening her hold on Courtney's hand.

Courtney started to tear up and engulfed Aubrey in a warm hug. Aubrey shut her eyes, trying to hold her tears back, but she couldn't. It pained me seeing Aubrey upset, but I know she needed to let go of the excess pain. She needs to accept the new beginning and let go of the past.

"If you died, I would have killed you." Courtney laughs and Aubrey rolled her eyes.

"That's not even possible." I walked up to Aubrey and moved her hair to the side, it always ends up in front of her precious face.

Courtney smiled at the both of us and Jess and Alex joined. Jess ran up to Aubrey and snuggled into the bed with her, ignoring the bullet wounds that she had just gotten fixed. Alex hugged me, saying that he knew everything was going to be okay.

"Well, since everyone is here..." Alex trails off, confusion settles in all of us besides Courtney.

"Should we tell them?" Courtney grins, wrapping her arms around Alex.

Alex kisses her nose, "Yes, we should."

I watch Alex slip the ring onto Courtney's finger and Aubrey gasped.

"If I died and missed this, I would've killed you!" Courtney giggled and shows the girls the ring.

"Congrats, man!" I exclaim, punching my buddy in the side.

"You want to be my best man?" He chuckles, brushing his hair to the side.

"Oh, I'm in." We high five and I look over to Aubrey.

Her gorgeous eyes land on me and she winks, making me know that every little thing is going to be okay from now on.