c h a p t e r 40

To kill or be killed. The predator and the prey. The lion and the deer. Who will win? It's not fun to be hunted. It traps you in a cage and blocks you from the real world. I mean, that's how it felt for me. But I've decided no more. Enough was enough. Warren has crossed the line and I was not having it anymore. Threatening innocent lives will not be tolerated and I will no longer live in fear. I'm thirsty for blood and we will see who gets it first.

"Drive faster." I stated, Jess rolled her eyes.

"Aub, I'm driving fifteen over the speed limit. I don't think we need the cops on our back." She growled and I sighed.

"I just need to get there and get those kids out of there."

The drive was irritable. I didn't want them to have a single mark on their bodies. My thoughts were interrupted when my phone started ringing. It was from Nick. I swore under my breath and answered.

"Where the fuck are you? You're kidding, right? You ran off again and didn't tell me?" Nick yelled, my heart sunk.

"I didn't mean to make you mad. And you can't be worried about me. But if I told you where I'm going, you wouldn't have let me go." I apologized, praying that they're on their way home now.

"You're going to meet him, Warren. Are you crazy?" His voice cracked, I could sense his concern.

"I must be. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. I'll send you the address and you can- I can't even send you the address because he will kill you." I tried holding in the tears, but when it comes to Nick I couldn't.

Jess patted my hand, smiling at me and trying to make me feel better.

"Send me the address. We are about to land. Tell me where to wait and I'll wait. I won't come inside unless you tell me or if I feel the need to." Nick explained and I agreed.

After hanging up, we arrived at the abandon warehouse. The roof was caving in and the streets were empty. It was dark outside and the wind blew through the alley, causing papers to roll by. I took a deep breath, turned to Jess, and hugged her tightly.

"If I don't make it, tell everyone I love them and that I finally found peace." I made sure my weapons were ready and brought my phone.

"If you don't make it?" Jess gulped and I smiled.

"Remember, stick to the plan. Nick will come for me. Get the kids and get out. Take them to Courtney. And stay the hell away from here." I squeezed her and jumped out of the car.

I walked through the building and saw Jennette crying while her brother, James tried consoling her. I ran towards them and saw Ally running towards me. I pushed the kids behind me and stared at her. She looked at me like I was garbage, baffled that I even came. She was dressed in black jeans and a tight white shirt. Her hair was pulled back and she pulled out her gun.

"He said the kids could go if I came." I growled, she nodded her head.

"Guys, go wait outside. I'll be there in a minute." I whisper and notice James red toy car.

I took it from him and whispered in his ear, "Take your sister and get in the red car. My friend is waiting in there and she will take you home. I'm sorry this happened and I love you guys." I kissed James' cheek and he smiled, grasping his sister's hand and went outside.

Good, I'll be able to think.

"You're an idiot for coming here. He's going to kill you." She sounded cool and collected, but I noticed her hands trembling.

"You're an idiot for working with him. You'll be killed or sent to jail. He only has you to do his dirty work. It's a game to him, he uses women for his own good." I reach behind my back, tightening my grip on my gun.

"He wants me to kill you." She screamed, obviously loosing her cool.

She's cracking, he managed to drive her over the edge and break her.

"Ally-"

"You don't get it! I thought he loved me! But no! He only needed me to get you back! He doesn't want you dead, but if that's the only way he can keep you then so be it! It's the only thing I can do for him to make him happy. I just want him happy! You belong to him! You ungrateful brat!" She yelled, kicking a garbage can to the side.

She isn't stable, her shot will be off. She'll miss me if she shoots.

"I don't belong to anyone. I'm my own person and I've finally realized that. He hurt me, Ally. What he is making you feel, I felt a hundred times worse. It was mental and physical pain. It was hell and I don't want to be there anymore." I breathed and she pulled the trigger.

"Sorry, but he told me to." The shot was fired and I moved just in time.

The bullet barely grazed my shoulder and it only hurt a little bit. Blood seeped through my sweat shirt and I felt myself getting angry. I have no intention in dying. I pulled my gun out and she stopped.

"I don't want to die, I'm finally happy." I smiled and aimed at her leg.

It won't kill her, but she'll be in pain and won't touch me. I ran towards her and she was to slow to reload her gun. I kicked it out of her hand and pushed her to the ground, shooting at her left leg twice.

"Fuck you!" She seethed and screamed in pain.

I picked up her gun and knew this wasn't over. Suddenly, I heard footsteps and smiled. The beast was here.

"Hello, Pet." I turned around to come face to face with the devil himself.

"My name is Aubrey, Warren." I grinned and held my gun out.

His eyes widened and he began to laugh, "So you finally learned how to fight back. Damn, this is going to be a little harder than I thought."

I didn't waste one second, I shot him in the stomach and he moved, allowing the bullet to collide and land in his arm. He laughed even harder.

"Let the games begin." He growled and then... I ran like hell.