c h a p t e r 34

He wouldn't let go of my hand. We were linked together, side by side. I had my head leaned on his shoulder, exhausted by the events of the weeks.

"Where do we go now? I think Warren is smart enough to go back home and find us there." Courtney sighs, driving down these endless roads.

I agreed with her. Warren isn't stupid and I am not risking myself getting caught again. I looked up at Nick, he smiled at me. That's when I knew where I wanted to go.

"New York. Go to New York."

"What? That's like, across the country!" Jess exclaims.

"I'm glad you know that. You're smarter than I thought you were." Courtney giggles and searches for a near by airport.

"Where will we be getting this kind of money?" Alex looks at me, I grin.

"The only good thing about living with Warren was he paid for everything. I have money from my mom and all the money I've saved from my job. That should cover the expenses." I say, squeezing Nick's hand.

Alex laughs and nods his head, "Well then, New York it is!"

Nick turns to me, smiling and kissed my cheek. I closed my eyes and leaned on his shoulder, cuddling as close to him as I could. All I felt was complete happiness. Being with Nick revived me and I felt ten times stronger. His fingers swept through my hair, playing with it and slowly making me fall asleep. I knew he would wake me up when we arrived to an airport.

• • •

I woke up, not knowing where I was. It was dark and I knew I was in a vehicle. My heart began to race, where was I? Wasn't I just in Nick's arms? I begin to panic, throwing my arms out and felt a hard figure next to me. I didn't know who it was and I could no longer control my breathing. Why was it so dark?

"Aubrey, stop." A voice hushed me, who was it?

"You're disgusting." Another voice screamed.

"Get out of our sight, you slut."

"You deserved all the beatings you got. You practically asked for it." They shout, I pulled at my hair and screamed.

Nick, where was Nick? I need to get away from these voices! I felt sharp nails scrape down my legs and stomach, sending me into a screaming fit. The pain was deadly, threatening to kill me any second. Maybe there are right, maybe I did deserve this.

"He will never love you. You're repulsive."

"Aubrey?"

I felt someone tug on my arms. I shot up, almost hitting my face into the back of the passenger seat. Nick caught me before my face took a huge hit.

"Woah, what's wrong? You almost jumped through the ceiling." He chuckled, his laugh relaxed my nerves.

"Sorry, just a nightmare. Are we here yet?" I asked, looking away so he wouldn't see the terror in my eyes.

Would he think I'm repulsive because Warren raped me again? Would he make me go back? I don't want to go back.

"Five tickets for New York please." Courtney states, Jess hugging me close to her when we reach the front desk.

I remember the last time I was here, trying to get away from Warren and I was so close if Ally didn't tell him where I was. Chills run down my spine; Jess quickly noticed and smiled at me, reassuring that we were safe and okay. I thanked her and Courtney grabs the tickets and informs us that our flight is in two hours.