c h a p t e r 24

"We should do something today." Courtney jumps onto the couch, the kids have gone to a daycare for the day.

I watch the rain wash away all of the pain of yesterday. It's always sunny in California so it's nice to see some rain fall once in a while. The clouds and the dark skies make me feel a little better. They remind that it's okay to be upset sometimes, but it won't last forever. If it doesn't last forever, why am I still sad now?

"Like what?" I ask, interested in getting out of this apartment.

It's been hard, but I've been able to ignore Nick for a week. Sometimes, Alex and him would be returning from an outing and would notice me as I was leaving for work. Alex tried to speak to me and ask how I was doing, while Nick wouldn't even acknowledge me. Was he mad at me?

"Maybe a movie. We could invite Alex and Nick! Make it like a double date." Courtney wiggles her eyebrows and I groan.

"If you want to go on a date with him, just go by yourselves. I don't want to hang out with Nick." I smother my face with a pillow and lay into it.

Courtney whines, "Oh, come on Aubrey! You've locked yourself in this damn apartment for a week! You won't go anywhere besides work or Jessica's house. Can you just hang out with me for once in your life?"

I felt guilty for not hanging around with Courtney. Jessica knew how to help and she's been very resourceful when it comes to the whole Warren situation. She informs me if he's close and tells me to get out of a place before he can reach me. I haven't ran into an emergency, but I know the day will be soon.

"Okay fine. Let's go to the movies, but no double dates! Only as friends." I give in and she nods her head eagerly.

"Deal! I'll go tell them right now while you go get ready." She smiles.

I sigh and return to my closet full of outfits that I can never decide which one to wear. My eyes scan over each one, I decided to go with a grey, light sweater and leggings. It was a bit breezy in California, rainy and in the 60s. Keeping it natural, I apply my foundation and mascara. My hair was fine as it was.

"This better go well." I mumble and join Courtney in the living room.

She was busy speaking to Alex who was dressed in a black flannel and jeans, whereas Nick was dressed in a grey, long sleeve shirt and khakis. I raise my eyebrows, impressed at how he always manages to present himself with such grace. I felt a fluttery feeling inside me. No matter what I'm feeling, my body always reacts to Nick.

"So glad you could join us, Aubrey." Courtney grins and Alex admires her beautifully.

She dressed herself in light blue jeans and a long sleeve, light pink, shirt. Her blonde hair was curled perfectly and rested against her shoulders. I could tell Alex was crazy about her and it made me happy to know that she found someone that likes her for her.

"Yeah, well what else am I suppose to when it's pouring outside?" I joke, looking over towards Nick who didn't really care for this small talk.

Alex notices and frowns for a second. He excuses himself, saying he would like to talk to Nick privately. Courtney raises her eyebrows and winks at me. I roll my eyes, this was probably a bad idea.

A couple of minutes later, they return and we are ready to leave. Alex wanted to drive today so we took his Jeep Wrangler. Of course Courtney sat next to him in the passenger side, which leaves Nick and I awkwardly sitting in the back.

I just love life today.

Nick seems to recognize my uncomfortable silence and begins to communicate with me.

"The weather seems nice today, yeah?" He looks at me, I bite back a laugh.

I guess I'm not the only one who is nervous.

"Really bro, the weather?" Alex snorts and Nick glares at him.

"Forget him. Yes, it's lovely that it's finally raining." I smile sweetly and he agrees.

Silence washes over us and let me tell you, it was not a comfortable one. If such a thing even exists is beyond me.

"Nick, I'm sorry for ignoring you the past week. It's been complicated for me, knowing that you think of me in that way. In all honesty, it scares the hell out of me." I whisper, trying to keep our conversation as private as I could.

Nick furrows his eyebrows, "Why would it scare you?"

"Relationships aren't really my expertise. I'm not capable of liking someone." I say, he shakes his head.

"Aub, it's fine. If you want to stay friends, then we will be just friends. I didn't mean to frighten you. You are just something else, you know that?" He chuckles and I lean closer.

"Yeah, I know. It's just been really hard for me these days." I let out a sigh of relief and lean my head on Nick's shoulder.

He wraps his arm around me, "It doesn't have to be. Forget about all the worries and you'll feel a lot better. Trust me."

I grin, grateful for fixing up the patches. Nick is so understanding and I honestly couldn't ask for anyone else to be my best friend.

Do I like Nick more than a friend? Yes, I won't lie to myself or else I'll go even crazier. I just know it's smarter to stay out of a relationship, considering my history. I need to be patient and wait for the right time. Hopefully, I won't have to wait for long.

Courtney glances in the rear view mirror and noticed Nick's and I position. Her eyes widened and she started giggling to herself. I kicked her seat, trying not to make it noticeable. My phone vibrates in my pocket, I open it up to see a message from Courtney.

You liar! You said just friends and that cuddling fest back there says otherwise. This outing has now been declared as a double date!

I roll my eyes and lean closer into Nick. It felt so right just to be in his arms. He ran his fingers along my arm, making me feel sparks igniting inside my body. My heart rate increased, my breathing hitching slightly. This boy knew how to get me going and I couldn't stop it.

Slowly, I take a deep breath and exhale. For some odd reason, I felt tired. Feeling this cozy in Nick's arms, I decided to close my eyes and take a nap. This moment wouldn't last forever, so I wanted to cherish it for as long as I could.