Chapter 31 - Checking Up

"To listen to the message again press 1, to save the message press 2, to delete the message press 3."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled my phone away from my ear, and my finger hovered over the number 3. I sighed as I pressed 2.

I placed my hand on my forehead as I watched the sunrise casting rays upon the calm waters and the sand. As the time turned to 8:00 am, I slipped my feet back into my shoes and headed back up towards the path. The sun hit my back as I jogged back to the hotel, hesitating outside, debating whether to keep running, as I took a deep breath and walked inside, heading straight down to the swimming pool by the gym. It was empty. Just as I had hoped. I ran in, kicking my shoes off at the heel, dropping my phone next to them and dived right in. The water lapped against my skin as I kicked gently underwater, only surfacing when I could breathe no more. 

I knew I was over-reacting to the voicemail. I really was, but I was confused, things like this didn't happen to me. I didn't get feelings for people. I certainly didn't love that many people and I most definitely wasn't perfect, alone or with someone else. 

The door to the pool opened, and a couple with a little girl about 4 walked in. I smiled at them as I jumped out of the pool, my clothes dripping. They looked at me oddly, as they placed their belongings down and got their daughter ready for the water. I walked to the door quickly, grabbing my shoes and phone on the way and hurried up to my room. I fumbled with the door, opening it quietly, hoping not to wake the others, but they were already awake and dressed. 

"Where have you been?! It's 9:00 am!" Hollie shouted, throwing a pillow at me. 

"I went for a run." 

"You're dripping." Grace said, looking me up and down.

"And a swim." I shrugged, grabbing my towels and a change of clothes. 

"Since when did you get up early?" Rhiannon laughed. 

"I just felt like it! I'm gonna take a shower." I finished turning and going into the bathroom. 

I was doing it again. Turning on the people I loved because I was scared and confused. This is why I struggled. It was like an animal awoke inside me, making me angrier and angrier until it didn't matter anymore until I was alone and nobody could question me or make me feel things I didn't want to. 

I jumped into the shower, taking control of my breathing, no longer taking angry gasps at the air, but slow relaxing breaths. The bathroom filled with the marshmallow smell of my shower gel and fruity smell of my shampoo as I washed away the chlorine and the sand from my hair and body. I washed a little harder, hoping the shame of Brad would also wash off my skin, but I knew I was kidding myself. I jumped out of the shower and wrapped my body and hair into a towel. I dried quickly and got changed, leaving my hair wrapped. 

"Do you think she was with Brad?" I heard as I opened the door. 

"I don't know, she said she couldn't stand him." 

"Well, Em has lied before." 

Em has lied before.

The words rang in my head. I shook my head, trying to stop it but the words got louder. I was a compulsive liar. I knew that. Why was it such a shock to hear it not from my own mouth? 

"Nice shower?" Rhiannon asked. 

I nodded, picking up my hairbrush. 

"We're going to go down for breakfast, do you want us to wait or?" Hollie asked gently.