The phone that was left behind

Start from the beginning

Chae Won has just got back from the columbarium building. She put her bag on the table and after got herself a glass of water, she sat on the sofa out of tiredness. Then she remembered something. She took out a phone that has been left behind from a table drawer.

She looked at her watch. It’s already 5 pm in the afternoon yet the owner of that phone hasn’t come to take it? Didn’t he need it? Or he thought it was gone and already bought a new one? Maybe he’s too busy to be back here just to take his phone. Yo Won said he’s a celebrity so that could be the reason.

She turned the phone off earlier this morning. Maybe the owner has been calling to it but because it’s off he thought it’s stolen? Then was it her fault? Maybe she just had to turn it on and waiting for someone to call so she could say that the phone was left behind at her café?

She made up her mind and turned it on. After a couple minutes, the phone rang made her startled. She looked at the caller ID but it only shown numbers.

She cleared her throat. “yeoboseyo?” she greeted as she picked it up.

“Ne, yeoboseyo. Aaah, finally someone picks up. I’ve been called all morning but it seems the phone is off.” Some man’s voice heard over the phone.

“Cwisunghamnida, ahjusshi (mister). I turned it off because I accidentally picked up a phone call from someone this morning. It was inappropriate so I thought I should turn it off until ahjusshi come to take it back.” Chae Won explained it all --felt bad. “but… you haven’t come…” she added hesitantly.

“Ye. I should have go there earlier to take it back but my schedules are so tight I could not move an inch. Is it okay if I go there after I finished my job? When did you closed the café?” he asked.

“We’re closing at 10 pm.” Chae Won answered. He paused for a second. “okay, maybe I could be there before it. Thank you so much, agasshi (miss). I’m sorry to trouble you with this small thing.” He said.

She hung up the phone. A sudden weird feeling strikes her. She felt that man’s voice is somewhat familiar to her. Unable to remember who it was she ignored the feeling and put the phone back in the drawer. When the man comes it will be answered.

“Well?” Suk Jin called as he looked at Joong Ki who was just hung up the phone he borrowed from some staff in a shooting location because his phone is out of battery. “she said they’re closing at 10 pm so I told her I’m going to go there before it.”

Suk Jin sighed. Joong Ki saw him andsmiled. “hyung,relax. Like I said many times before, there’s nothing on my phone. I just bought it a week ago, remember? Even if she looked through my phone she wouldn’t found anything related to me. I haven’t put pictures there. She wouldn’t know it was Song Joong Ki’s phone.” He cheered his manager. Suk Jin glared at him.

“Why do I feel like you doesn’t even care that your phone is in stranger’s hand?”

Joong Ki fell silent. His manager’s right. Ordinary people would be worry if their phone in someone’s hand. He’s not just an ordinary people. He’s a celebrity. Even if there are no pictures or personal data yet in that new phone, there’s still phone numbers of his friends and celebrity colleagues like Bo Young, Kwang Soo and his sunbaenims. He should be more worried.

But somehow, he felt that the woman is honest. She would keep it safe without trying to look through his phone. Though he couldn’t explain why he had that feeling towards some woman whom he doesn’t even saw before.

Chae Won is helping Yo Won and her other employees to preparing the cafe closing time. It’s still in a half an hour but there are no customers left so they are freely to clean up the leftovers on the table or mop the floor sooner than the other days before.

Chae Won is in the back, washing the dishes when one of her employee approached her. “Moo, Moon owner. There, there is someone outside.  Asking for his phone.” Her voice trembled like she just saw something that made her dazzled.

Finally, the owner of that phone came, she thought.

“Really? Tell him to sit down for a minute.” Chae Won took off her apron and dishes gloves that she wore and went to her house to grab the phone.

As soon as the phone is in her hand, she went back to the cafe and found the back of a man wearing a dark brown hat sat alone in one of the tables. She approached him, wearing a smile in her lips.

“Ahjusshi, I’m sorry to make you waiting. Here’s your phone and I’m sorry for………” her voice stopped as she looked at who’s in front of her.

Joong Ki is in shock too. His eyes widened as he couldn’t believe who stood in front of him.

“Joong Ki-sshi?”

He thought that he will never be able to hear his name coming from her mouthever again, but here she was, called out his name out of disbelief.