017 | emotional

song : if I ain't got
you by alicia keys

T H I R D P E R S O N

The two brunettes sat on the bed, legs sprawled out across the sheets. Camila had asked Shawn to come over because she needed help to write a song for her band's second album. Being the nice person he was, he came over to her apartment quickly in a matter of ten minutes. She waited for him, sitting down with her guitar.

After choosing to just take a short nap for a few minutes, Shawn knocked on her door softly, so she never heard it. Luckily, he knew where the spare key was. He grabbed it from under the carpet and unlocked the door so he could go in. He slightly chuckled at her snoring that came from her room.

He lifted the blanket slowly from her body, as she started blinking. "Shawn?" She called out, yawning from the sudden movement. "Yay, you're here."

"Good evening Princess," He laughed, making her cheeks flush. Shawn liked it when she would smile at the pet names, even though they were just friends. Sure, he had built up feelings overtime, but they both knew that Camila wanted their friendship to be everlasting. "I'm here now."

She smiled and rearranged the strap of her tank top to her shoulder since it had shifted a little bit to her arm. It had already been two minutes after midnight, and Camila was so tired from all the writing she had attempted to do before Shawn had came.

"I'm so tired, this songwriting thing where each of us does it separately is killing the soul inside of me—" Camila groaned, complaining. Shawn chuckled, and nodded. He understood what this was like: when you're under pressure and everything had been falling apart. "—and my nap time."

A slight chuckle escaped his lips, as usual. He would always laugh and make jokes around Camila, and that was what kickstarted their friendship a few years back. Camila placed the candle that had taken place on her tray to the nightstand. She took a few breathes before looking back up at Shawn with her piercing brown eyes.

"Well, what are you going to do—just look at me? I know I'm hot but gosh, I hate all this attention, Mila!" He added, annoying Camila. But he loved how he made her hide away because of her cheeks turning to his favorite shade of pink.

"Oh shut up, you pig." She snapped, rolling her eyes.

"Okay, let's get started on this songwriting, yeah?" He smiled cheekily at the end.

"I hate how you're Canadian." She pouted, falling back on the bed with her arms spread out. "Can we just write? You're making me blush and I hate it! He nodded, and they both began thinking and brainstorming of tunes and lyrics.

After endless talking and arguing about the song, they had finally made it through halfway.

Shawn exclaimed with excitement, meanwhile Camila was one second close to falling into a deep sleep that he would have to take care of. He glanced at her, looking at the features on her face that made him smile. The way her eyebrows lifted when she was excited—to, as cheesy as it sounds, how her smile could light up the whole wide world.

He watched her as she slowly fell, sleep overtaking her body.

So he sang.

Belting out the words he could never say to her.

Some people live for the fortune
Some people live just for the fame
Some people live for the power, yeah
Some people live just to play the game
Some people think that the physical things

He ran his warm hand across her cheek, cupping it gently, as he had a burning desire to kiss the soft lips of hers. But he couldn't. So he just sang.

Define what's within
And I've been there before
But that life's a bore
So full of the superficial

There wasn't a single doubt that this boy was in love, and there wasn't a single star in the sky that ever was placed in the wrong spot when they were together. These were the moments he had cherished, the moments that he had lived for. But he couldn't have her—so he just sang, saying the words he never said. He was aching to tell her.

Some people want it all
But I don't want nothing at all
If it ain't you, baby
If I ain't got you, baby

He meant everything in that song, even though it wasn't originally his.

Some people want diamond rings
Some just want everything
But everything means nothing
If I ain't got you, yeah

She shifted slightly, making his heart beat twice as fast. But he kept singing. Just so he could express how he felt.

Some people search for a fountain
That promises forever young
Some people need three dozen roses
And that's the only way to prove you love them

He was singing the words that he had kept inside of his for years, from the beginning of their friendship that had occured in the late summer of 2013 (a/n: yes I am aware that wasn't when they met but let's just pretend, it's an imagine ppl).

Hand me the world on a silver platter
And what good would it be
With no one to share
With no one who truly cares for me

And so she woke up, with the smile on her face that seemed like it would be the only thing that could sustain her life.