Blood Stains and Revelations

I hate this stupid cape, I think as I struggle to put it on. I fling it around my shoulders and try to pin it. Instead I accidentally prick myself with the yeti pin, creating a drop of blood to fall onto the pristine white tunic, taking away its purity. I groan and stick my finger in my mouth. I'm about to throw the aggravating cape and pin across the room when I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in," I call, my voice muffled from my finger.

I look up from the uniform and turn to the Vacker siblings, looking all perfect in their uniforms, their capes expertly pinned and swaying gently against their backs. How annoying it can be, their perfection. I plaster on a sheepish smile, my bloody finger still in my mouth. Biana chuckles as she and Fitz take in my predicament.

"Do you need help, Rowan?" Fitz asks, smiling his dazzling smile.

I nod. "That would be appreciated." Fitz steps forward but Biana stops him by holding out her arm. "Let me, brother. You could barely pin yours on, much less Rowan's."

Biana strides up to me and neatly pins my cape, arranging it to fall just right in front of my shoulders. She pats my arm.

"I'm sorry for what I did yesterday. I don't know what came over me," Biana whispers, not looking at me.

I give her a small smile. "It's fine."

She nods and slips quietly back to her brother, who was staring at me. I hide my blushing cheeks by turning and grabbing the satchel off my bed. My boots were sitting next to it. Della convinced me to wear the soft boots that came with uniform, saying that when I get back I can slip my own boots back on.

I slip the satchel over my head and give Biana and Fitz a nervous smile. "There's no reason to worry, " Fitz reassured me, giving my upper arm a gentle squeeze.

Yes, there are many, many, reasons to worry. Like being able to call upon a flame; or being able to kill someone with a flick and whisper to the fire. But, I kept that all to myself, masking it with a smile.

***

I'm not ready. I am definitely not. Not even a little.

Foxfire is huge. A courtyard sits in front of me, elves laughing and talking to each other. My gaze wanders to the glass and crystal school in front of me. I know that elves like wacky structures and this academy was no exception. It was shaped like a pyramid,and I could see that each level was a different color. Two intertwining towers stood next to it, one silver and the other gold.

"If your mouth is hanging any lower, you're going to have to pick it up off the ground," a voice says from behind me. I turn around to find Keefe hand-in-hand with Sophie.

I roll my eyes, fighting the urge to smile at his comment.

"Thanks, and I assume you'll help me?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"You're on your own for that one," Keefe answered.

I laugh and I notice Sophie smile. I slowly relax and walk with the group. It's only been four days since we first met, but it feels like so much longer. I hope I can stay here.

We enter the academy and I marvel at the amount of kids here. There are so many; more than I've ever seen before.

We were all gathered in a huge gym-type room, the swish of capes add to the buzz of talking. Anticipation bursts into my chest and I hug my arms around myself, excited to be in a school environment. The sudden projection of a man on one of the crystal walls startled the kids into silence.

"Welcome to another school day, prodigies! How are you liking these daily greetings? I enjoy them!" Magnate Leto, I assumed, had extremely gelled hair that looked like a desert windstorm couldn't move it, and a very white smile. He gave off the vibe of an intimidating but loving man. Kind of like Alden. The gym gave off a loud moan in answer Magnate Leto's question.