Swirling Nerves

Rowan's POV

We arrive back at Everglen and I head upstairs to my room. Hanging the dress in my closet I realize something. I can't wear that dress. It's strapless and I have that injury on my shoulder. I rub my shoulder and sigh. We already bought it. I'll just have to wear a cloak or something. I head into my bathroom and strip off my clothes. I want to take a shower before the Councilors get here. I unwrap my bandage and set it on the counter. I get a towel out and start the shower. I step in and colorful streams of water streamed down the front of my body. The warm water relaxes my muscles and I sigh in contentment. After a minute of standing there I carefully turn around. I scrub the dried blood off my shoulder with my hand. When the water hits the hole from the knife I hiss and step away. The stinging in my burns return and I curse. I quickly wash my hair and shut off the shower.

I grab my towel and dry off. I put my hair in a four-piece side braid and wrap the towel around myself. I put on my bandage. I cover the window with the black drapes and get dressed. I head back into the bathroom and take a look at myself. I put on black leggings and a white tunic with a brown braided belt. I snatch my dagger from my dirty combat boots and slip it in a hidden pocket in my leggings. Without putting on my boots I walk downstairs, dreading the meeting with the Councilors.

VWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVWVW

Jake and Thom arrive first. When I see Thom walking and completely healthy I run and tackle him in a hug. He stumbles and laughs, wrapping his arms around me. (Just so you peeps know, it was a total brotherly hug. Thom's like a brother to Rowan.)

"Good to see you too," he laughs.

I finally let go of him and stare into his royal blue eyes.

"You're okay? Your head doesn't hurt or anything? No headaches?" I ask him.

"Totally fine," he answers.

I grin and step away. I stand in front of Jake and hesitantly give him a hug.

"How're you doing?" I search for any cuts Elwin could have missed but his skin looked cut-free.

"Good. You? What about your shoulder?" Jake asks me.

I look away when Thom asks, "What's wrong with her shoulder?"

"Nothing. Everything's fine. Come sit down." I glance at Della when we pass her on the way to the couch. She gives me a questioning look but I shake my head. I don't want to worry Thom with my problems. I sit in the middle of Jake and Thom. I fiddle with my thumbs and my stomach cramps from nervousness. Gosh, I feel like I'm going to puke. Suddenly the door opens and I snap my head up. I relax when it was Alden. He strides in and kisses Della on the cheek. Turning to me he asks, "You ready?"

No. But I nod my head anyway. Jake grabs my hand but I slip it out. Out of the corner of my eye I see him frown and glance at me. I place my hand under my thigh.

"I know that it's against Della's wishes, but I decided Fitz and Biana should be here," Alden tells us.

He holds up his hand when Della starts to argue. "Let me tell you why. Fitz is just as much apart of it then Rowan is. He actually went to one of their hideouts. If Fitz tells us where it is we could-" he stops when he glances at my scowl and glare. Alden clears his throat. "Anyway, I think he needs to be here. Biana too."

As if on cue both Fitz and Biana walk in. I glance at the time and see that's school is about halfway done. Fitz immediately takes off his cape, folds it and puts it in his satchel. He throws his satchel onto the counter, earning a look from Della. He falls into a seat opposite me and smiles. I blush and look down at my bare feet. I see Jake glare at Fitz and I nudge him. Biana goes and sits in a chair next to Fitz and her face holds a bored expression.

I have no idea why Biana is still mad at me. Like, get over it, Princess. I'm here and you can do nothing about it. That girl is on my last nerve. She glares at me and I shoot her one right back. I know I should be getting to know her and stuff but..no, I am SO not doing that. I don't want to be friends with a snob like her.

The Councilors arrive and Alden opens the gates for them. I clutch Thom's hand like it's the only think keeping me here. The first Councilor walks through the door. She has soft, blonde curls that frame her face and rosy cheeks. Oralie, I remember. Next walked in a man with a cold gaze, pointed ears, and dark hair. Bronte. I smile a little when I remember he was my Dad's favorite. Or as close to favorite as a Neverseen agent can get. And last came Councilor Emery. He glances at me but quickly looks away when I meet his eyes. He clears his throat.

"Are we going to have the meeting in here or in your office? And is your son going to attend?" Councilor Emery asks.

"In my office is fine," Alden answers.

He leads the way up the stairs. The Councilors follow and I slowly stand. Jake, Fitz, and Thom do the same. Della puts a hand on Biana's arm when she tries to follow. She scowls and huffs, crossing her arms. I start up the stairs behind the Councilors. Fitz follows closely behind. Thom and Jake go side by side. We reach Alden's office and I take a deep breath. Making sure Fitz, Thom, and Jake were behind me we walk inside.

Well not my best. These last couple chapters are so not good. But...I try.