Late Night Worries

Rowan's POV

Jake and I walk back to Everglen. Jake tries to grab my hand but I slip it into my pocket. I accidentally step onto a stick and yelp. Stupid bare feet. Jake steadies me by wrapping an arm around my waist. I tense. How can he not see that I DO NOT LIKE HIM LIKE THAT? I mean, he has a freaking girlfriend! I sigh and stop walking.

"What is it?" Jake asks me.

"You," I answer.

Jake's confused expression urged me to continue.

"Jake, I-I'm sorry if I was leading you on. I just, don't like you like that," I finish weakly.

I twist my fingers and don't look at him. When I was only answered by silence, I finally give in and glance at him. His face first twists into sadness then anger.

"I knew you liked him," he spat.

He stomps away from me and into the woods.

"Jak-wha-where are you going?!" I exclaim.

"Away from you."

"What?"

"I hate you, Rowan Jensen, I always did." Jake turns towards me and his faces morphs into Mr. Interrogator (I'm getting tired writing 'Mr. Interrogator, so imma just going to call him Mr. In). He laughs and the sound bounces off the trees around me. Mr. In's hand blazes into balefire and he throws it at me. My feet sink into the ground. I struggle but my feet stay stuck. I look up to see the fireball blazing towards my face. I throw up my hands and cover my face. I feel the heat of the fire. But just before it hit me, the image disappeared into darkness.

"Rowan."

I moan. When I tried to move, the ground made a crunching sound beneath me.

"Rowan," I hear a male voice whisper again.

"Shut up and go away," I mutter.

Even though I'm relieved that the nightmare was over, I still don't want to open my eyes to the cruel, cruel world.

"Rowan, you have to wake up. It's, like, midnight."

Hearing that my eyes snap open. Jake is leaning over me, his indigo eyes shining against the starry sky.

"What?" I whisper. "And can you move? Seriously, personal space."

He moves away and I rise into a sitting position. That's when I realize I was laying on a bed of leaves.

"What happened?"

"I guess with the Councilors coming over and you getting stabbed and all...You were a little overwhelmed. So when we were hugging and you kind of just collapsed against me and fell asleep," Jake quietly explained to me.

Well that's embarrassing. I blush and stand. I stumble when sharp needles stab the inside of my foot.

"What's wrong?" Jake asks me.

"My foot's asleep," I grumble, wincing when I set it down again.

We make our way back to Everglen. I'm not that excited to see everybody. Yeah, they'll be asleep but still. What I did, running out of there, crying, that's pretty embarrassing. I sigh and run my hands down my face. And that's when I remember what's happening tomorrow. The Fall Ball. I groan and curse under my breath.

"What? Are you hurt?" Jake's concern only makes me more disgusted.

"No, Jake, I'm not hurt. I just have that stupid Ball tomorrow night," I complain. "I don't even want to go. I was just being nice to Della, since I'm staying with her."