Underground Home

Fitz's POV

Rowan led me out of the woods. I hear her muttering to herself but I can't make out what she's saying. In the moonlight her hair looks like it's glowing. She turns back to me and her navy blue eyes sparkle.

"We're almost there."

She put out her flame a while ago. The moonlight was strong enough to light our path that we didn't need it. I admit, I'm glad she snuffled it out. That one tiny piece of fire brought back bad memories. One of them was of Oblivymere (Did I spell that right?). Sophie, Councillor Oralie, and I barely made it out of there alive. I flash back to when Dad said Kenirc didn't make it out. The way Sophie ran and crumpled to the ground. I was snapped back into the present when Rowan let go of my hand and stumbled.

Without thinking I reach and grab her around the waist, gently pulling her upright. I see her face flush red. I smile at her and let go. She runs her hand through her hair, undoing her loose braid.

"Dang it," she muttered.

Her hair went all the way to the middle of her back, with blonde tips. The blonde stood out in the darkness, making it seem like it's glowing. She quickly pulled it into a messy bun and we kept walking. Fifteen minutes later we reach an abandoned building. Some of the ceiling was caved in and there was holes everywhere. Bugs skittered, their legs carrying them far away from us. A chill crawled down my back, making me shiver. I reach out and hold Rowan's hand, stepping up beside her.

"This is the Neverseen's hideout?" I wasn't impressed. The place looked like a giant stepped on it.

Rowan snorted. "Heck, no. This place is a piece of crap. No, my home is under this place."

Without letting go of her hand I followed Rowan into the damaged building, looking around. Rowan led me to an elevator. It's doors were completely gone and the floor looked like if you stepped on it you would fall right through. I tighten my grip on her hand when she went to step into it.

"I'm NOT letting you go in there."

"Come, on. It's totally safe. See?" Rowan steps into the elevator. The floor creaks and it shudders. She smiles at me and beckons me in.

"You'll be fine. I've seen bigger guys go on this. Heck, if my Dad can ride in this, you can." Without a warning Rowan yanks on my hand, pulling me in. She laughs when I cling to one of the walls. She punches in a code on the elevator's buttons. The numbers glow green and we start to go down. Not trusting the floor I jerk Rowan to my side, holding her close. She tries to move, but I don't let her.

"I don't trust that floor; and I definitely don't want you falling through there," I tell her.

She sighs. "You are so over-protective and you just met me."

I blush and look away from her. I avoid looking out the door-less elevator; instead staring at the ground. The elevator creaks to a stop and I see Rowan wince.

"It's so loud." She walks to where the doors should be on the elevator and peeks out. "Nobody's here. Let's go."

I follow her out of the elevator and into the darkness.