Unwanted Attention

Rowan's POV

I creep down the hallway with Fitz by my side. Having him here comforted me. Knowing I had another person to help me if I came across Dad. My cheek tingled from remembering the slap. I touch my cheek to find the blood had dried. I remember the pain and surprise. Dad had threatened me before but he never actually went through with it. Mom didn't even do anything to help me. Dads aren't supposed to hit their child. They're supposed to love them. Does Dad even love me? I hadn't realized I stopped walking until Fitz said something.

"Why did we stop?" He looks at me.

I shrug and start walking again. The torches flickered when I walked past, almost like a greeting. I smile. At least the flames love me. I pass my hand through one. I was about to do it again when I hear footsteps. I stop and press myself against a wall, peeking around a corner. I see an agent walking towards us. I search for a hiding place, and relief crashes over me when I see a door. I grab Fitz and open the door. It's a closet. I push Fitz in before I enter, closing the door quietly behind me. I spin around to find Fitz's face really close to mine. I look away and flush. This is a really small closet.

"Sorry," he whispers. His breath smells like mallowmelt.

I clear my throat quietly. "No, no, you're fine. Totally fine."

My heart beats wildly in my chest.

Footsteps pass by the door and I relax. Thank goodness. I slowly turn the doorknob and peek my head out. I look up and down the hallways to find that nobody was there. I open the door the rest of the way and step out. Fitz and I travel down the hallway, passing doors, classrooms, and battle training rooms. We pass my Mom's office and look inside. I see her sitting there, crying. Her shoulders are shaking and Dad's there, pacing. He's not even comforting her. I feel anger course through my veins. I start to shake and the blue flames around me burn brighter. They wave violently and they rise higher. Suddenly all the torches burst into flames. Dad looks up and sees me. His face contorts in confusion than anger. I grab Fitz's hand. Dad starts toward the door, shouting at Mom.

"Run," I state simply.

Fitz and I dash down the corridor, not even caring about making noise. Every torch we pass burst into blue flames. I command some of it into my hand, holding a fireball for emergencies. I glance at Fitz to see him look at the fireball uneasily.

"For emergencies," I yell. He nods.

We stop at where the hallway branches off. We have three hallways to choose from. I hear footsteps behind us. I look at Fitz.

"Which hallway?" He asks me.

I don't know. I've never been to this part before. I quickly pick the one to my left, darting towards it. Before we enter I throw the fireball down the one we came. I didn't even care if it hit my Dad. If he didn't love me then I wouldn't love him. The hallway I chose didn't have any torches. The darkness was suffocating. Fitz tightens his grip on my hand. I summon another fireball and whisper to it. It darts off my hand and into the darkness lighting our way. Some things elves don't realize is that fire is a living thing. We follow the ball of fire until we reach a dead end. I curse. I was about to turn around when a voice stops me.

"Rowan?"

I slowly turn around to find Thom standing a couple yards away, confusion etched on his facial features.