Mock Murder

Rowan's POV

"What the heck?" I exclaim, quickly pulling out my dagger and aiming it at Fitz. I didn't fail to notice our still linked hands, but I figured they were fine for right now. I glare at Fitz and touch the tip of my knife between his eyes. I lean closer and whisper," You know that I have to kill you now that you know my secret." I gesture with my free hand around the woods behind our Neverseen hideout. Fitz's face goes pale and I feel him tremble beneath my blade. It takes a whole lot of effort to not let a smile take over my face. I press the blade deeper into his skin, but not hard enough to draw blood.

"You will die a slow and painful death. First, I will cut off your fingers one. By. One. And second-" I stop to keep the laughter bubbling up in my throat contained, " I will cut out your tongue. Then-" I couldn't keep it on anymore, I burst out laughing. I place my knife back in my boot before I accidently impale myself with it. I see Fitz's face go slack with relief, and this makes me laugh harder. During my fits of laughter I silently pray that we're far enough into the woods so that nobody can hear us. Especially me. After all that was left was the occasional giggle, I settled down onto a log.

"Gosh, you should've seen you face. You were all like, 'Oh no! Rowan's going to kill me!" And I'm just standing here trying to contain my laughter. Ah, it was great." I pat the place next to me on the log. Fitz hesitantly sits down.

"That was a mean trick. I actually thought you were going to kill me," Fitz says. I glance at him in the dying light and get entranced with his eyes again. When he notices me staring I quickly look away, blushing.

I shrug." Hey, I saw an opportunity and took it. Plus, the temptation was a little overwhelming. But seriously, you should have seen your face. Ah, it made my day."

We shared a moment of silence, but it was a comfortable one. I notice my thoughts drift to Jake. His kiss left me feeling...weird. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either. A) he has a girlfriend, b) his girlfriend happens to be my friend, and c) his lips felt strange.

"You never answered my earlier questions," Fitz suddenly said.

I sigh. He just had to ruin the silence. I shift uneasily on the log. Finally I turn to face him. Seeing me change positions, Fitz does the same.

"If I tell you, do you promise not to freak out and look at me differently?" I ask him. I hold out my pinky and give a small smile. "You have to pinky swear. It's stronger than a regular promise."

Fitz takes in my smiling face and outstretched pinky. He offers a nervous smile of his own and we link pinkies. "I swear."

I take in a shaky breath. I hesitate a moment before saying," Well you just met Jake, my best friend. And technically you're my enemy because I'm a...a...a Neverseen agent." I say that last part in a whisper, half hoping Fitz didn't hear me.

He was quiet for a long time. I started to wonder if he had heard me. I chance a glance at him and see him staring straight ahead. Then he stood up so quickly I jumped out of surprise.

"We need to head back." He held his hand out to me and I took it. He gently pulled me up but avoided my gaze. I have to admit, I was kind of hurt, but not surprised.

"Yeah," I agree, "the others might wonder where we went. And what we were doing." I playfully nudge him but he doesn't do it back. I sigh and gaze into the woods. I feel Fitz grab my hand and pull out his pathfinder.

"You ready?" he asks me.

I nod and holds his pathfinder up. I wait for the beam but nothing happens. Fitz curses and puts his pathfinder away.

"There's not enough light," he grumbles. He runs his hand through his hair and mumbles to himself.

"Fitz," I say. He doesn't here me.

"Fitz," I say again, louder. He shakes his head and starts pacing.

"Fitz!" I shout. He startles and looks at me.

"What?" he asks, clearly agitated.

"You created a rut in the ground from all your pacing. And calm down, we'll figure this out."

"Fine." He sits back down on the log. I sit down next to him, and we start to think of what to do.