Questions and Decisions

Rowan's P.O.V.

"I can't do this. I'm going to puke. What do they even want?" I ask, rubbing my knotted stomach.

"You'll be fine. You got this. Just answer their questions honestly," Fitz informs me, trying to calm me down and clearly avoiding my question.

I snort. Even though they tried to kill me, I still don't fell like I need to expose much about the Neverseen to the Councilors. We were standing in front of the door, waiting for the Councilors to arrive. Gosh, I hate being nervous. The feeling sucks. I start to pace, my boots clunking across the floor. What are the questions they might ask me? And why so soon after Thom? My eyes fill with tears when I think about him. Fitz mistook the reason for my tears- probably assuming it was because of the Councilors-and grabs my hand.

"Hey. It'll be okay. They just want to ask a few questions." He squeezes my hand and doesn't let go. It reassures me a little bit, but I can't help thinking that a few questions can turn into many.

...

The Councilors stride through the door, bringing a regal air with them. My stomach clenches with nerves, and I press my hand on it. Fitz glances my way but quickly looks to the Councilors again. All of them looked my way suspiciously. I was too nervous to glare. Councilor Emery steps forward and clears his throat.

"Should we discuss in your office?" he asks Alden.

Alden nods and leads the way to his office. With every step my nerves build. We reach his office and Alden and the Councilors walk in. I pause at the doorway, taking a deep breath. I shuffle in and take a seat in front of Alden's desk. The Councilors took seats next to Alden. Most of them gazed down their noses at me, which made me want to glare, but I didn't. I don't want this to get off to a bad start. I fidgeted in my seat, but try to calm down when Fitz takes a seat next to me.

Councilor Emery clears his throat and rests his folded hands in his lap. "So, Miss Rowan. I hope we won't encounter you running out of the room this time, will we?"

I blush and shake my head. Emery nods. "Good.

"To start out with, we just wanted to tell you that you must answer these questions honestly. Councilor Oralie will be holding your hand through the questioning to detect any emotions that come with lies. If you fib, or hold back information, then Councilor Oralie will know and there will be punishments. Minor ones, but punishments all the same. Am I making myself clear?" Emery asks.

I sit there, shocked for a minute, but finally I nod my head.

"Oralie, if you will." Emery gestures to the empty chair next to me.

Oralie stands and smooths out her dress, and walk towards me. She gently lowers herself into the chair next to me, and gives me a delicate smile.

"Let's not repeat what happened last time," she whispers to me as she takes my hand in hers.

I will my palms not to sweat as Emery prepares his questions. I could tell that him and the other Councilors were having a telepathic conversation before starting because everyone was silent and Emery was rubbing his temples. Finally Bronte slammed his hand on Alden's desk and said, "Enough. Just ask her a blasted question!"

Emery glared at Bronte and turned to me. "Okay, Miss Rowan, let's begin with a simple question. Why did you leave the Neverseen?"

This was definitely NOT a simple question. I shift in my seat and glance at Oralie. She smiles and nods her head to encourage me to go on.

"Um, I left because...my Dad hit me," I answer uncomfortably. Oralie nods her head to signal that I wasn't lying. Even though I wasn't a Telepath, I could tell that the Councilors and Alden were surprised to hear my answer. How did the guilt not shatter his mind, I don't know. And I don't think I want to. Emery nods his head and continues. "What happened last night in Atlantis? I want to hear everything, nothing left out."

My throat momentarily closes for a second as Thom's face flashes through my mind. I cover my sob with a cough and try to compose myself. Then I tell them everything. How Biana overheard me leaving. How we got to Atlantis and the gnomes. About Thom. Everything. It was hard, and I was determined not to cry in front of the Councilors. I wasn't expecting empathy, so I was surprised when Oralie sniffed and squeezed my hand.

"Oh honey. I'm so sorry," she says to me.

"Thank you." I squeeze her hand back.

Bronte was quiet up until he asked, "What in your right mind though that it was a good idea to go to Atlantis? All you got rewarded with was a dead person anyway."

Oralie gasps beside me and even Emery shook his head. "Bronte, enough. But Rowan, please answer the question, if you don't mind."

I barely hear him above the blood pounding in my ears. Bronte's words filled me with a fiery rage that made my ears and hands hot. It took me most of my energy not to set something, or someone (preferably Bronte), on fire.

I answer Bronte's question through clenched teeth. "I wanted to know if Thom was okay. Obviously he wasn't, or he wouldn't be gone."

Bronte didn't answer, instead he glares. I glare back and fight the urge to stick out my tongue at him.

"One last question, Rowan. Will you be willing to go back to the Neverseen as a double agent? Pretend like you are going back and gain information for us," Emery says.

Immediately I shake my head."No. Even if I could, they wouldn't take me. I betrayed them and now I'm stuck with you. They see me as an enemy, as much as they see you all as an enemy. "

Emery sighed and nodded. "I expected as much. Rowan, before we leave I want to bring something like a deal to your attention. We will hold a seed planting for your friend Thom, if you tell us everything you know about the Neverseen."

By this time Oralie had let go of my hand and was sitting quietly beside me, so she didn't feel my sudden suspicion. A seed planting for Thom was a great idea, but maybe not for this big of a price.

"Why do you want to know everything about the Neverseen?" I ask Emery.

"Isn't it obvious?" Bronte cuts in."You tell us information about the Neverseen, then we can defeat them once and for all and never have to deal with those rebels again and keep this world in peace."

Peace. That sounded like a beautiful thing. A thing I hadn't felt since Dad hit me. If I tell them about the Neverseen, then I would endanger Kayla, Aimer, and Mom. But if I didn't, then Thom wouldn't have a planting and have a tree. Oh, what do I do?

"I'll have to get back to you on that," I finally answer.

"Totally acceptable," Emery answers, "but you have two weeks until we need your answer. We can't just sit here and wait for the Neverseen to attack again."

I nod for what feels like the millionth time and the Councilors rise to leave. Alden stands to and walks them out. FItz, Biana, and I sit in Alden's office in silence. Without speaking I stand and walk out the room, lost in thought. So I didn't notice Biana quietly tell Fitz, "She's going to have to make a big decision. A decision I don't think she's ready to make."

A/N: Eh, this is kinda a filler chapter. I hope you guys enjoy and don't forget to COMMENT and VOTE.