Blue Lights

Fitz's P.O.V.

"Where is she?" I yell, the roaring of flames drowning out my question.

"She's still in there!" Sophie answers, hands on her temples.

We were standing outside the building with the rest of the people that came to the Ball. Lots of them were telling bystanders that their jeweled purse, or their diamond necklace was still in there. At least the girl of your dreams isn't trapped in a burning tower, I thought bitterly.

    I pace and without thinking anything through, start to run back into the slowly melting crystal building.

"Fitz!" Sophie and Keefe drag me back beside them.

"I have to save her," I tell them, my eyes burning from the smoke.

"You're not gonna save her if you burn to death, Romeo," Keefe yells into my ear, struggling to hold me back.

I sag against my friends, and their hands finally loose their death grip. I make my move. I rip my arms free and sprint toward the building. I hear them yell after me and guilt enters my head. I shove it away, thinking about how Rowan is still in there. How disgustedly funny that we are underwater, and the flames of fire still burn.

I run through the doors, flames licking the once beautiful crystal. The ballroom was on fire, flames everywhere. The musicians abandoned their instruments, letting the flames devour them. I feel sweat bead my forehead and run down my back. Ignoring the fire clinging to my heels, I run down the hallway Rowan was still in.

"Rowan!" I shout.

"Rowan!" My voice is swallowed by the roaring fire.

I open the ash covered door again, but the searing hot metal burned my hand. I curse and cradle my hand in the other. I knock the weakened door down with my shoulder, stumbling in.

"Rowan!" I rush in, coughing.

Melted crystal dripped from the ceiling. I try to avoid this, not wanting to go what Oralie went through in Oblivimyre. I scramble around the room, the heat rising.

"Over here!" I hear someone shout.

I rush to the voice, finding Thom sheltering Rowan's body with his own. His face and back were burned by melted crystal, and his clothes didn't fare any better. I wince and run over, kneeling next to Thom.

"Take her and go," Thom instructs me.

"What about you?" I ask. I slip my hands under Rowan's body, holding her against my chest.

"I'll be fine. Now run!"

I nod once and lift Rowan up. Her head lolls back and I gently rest it on my shoulder. Her hair was plastered to her face with sweat, her mouth dry and cracked from the heat.

With one last glance at Thom, who was slowly rising to his feet, I head out. I retrace my steps, the smoke thickening. I cough and stumble, nearly dropping my brunette.

I recover and tighten my hold on Rowan. I glance down when I hear her raspy breathing. I force my legs to go faster, I have to get her to safety. She needs to be safe. I look back while I run. What was Thom doing? Maybe he's following but I can't see him through the smoke. Yeah, that's it, I try to reassure myself. Melted crystal sticks to my shoes, and I find it harder to run. But I make it out, hacking. Elves surround me, including Sophie, Keefe, and the others.

"What were you thinking?! You could've died!" Biana yelled, sounding a little hysterical, Della on her heels.

I gasp and shake my head. "Not now--Rowan."