Blue Ombre

Rowan's POV

I hate water. It's one of my biggest fears. Okay, my only fear. So when Della told me we're going to Atlantis, I about peed myself. Apparently my fear showed on my face because Della asked me what was wrong.

"Nothing," I squeaked.

So now I'm staring at a whirlpool that I have to jump into. How about no.

"Won't I ruin my clothes?" I ask Della.

She laughs. "No. Have you ever been to Atlantis?"

I shake my head and back away from the swirling water. Della seemed to remember that I was part of the Neverseen and quieted. I've only left the base for missions. And most of those missions ended in injuries and death. So, yeah. I barely left. My heart beast faster and I feel it pound against my chest. I rub right below my collarbone and turn to Della.

"You go first?" I take more steps away from the swirling-pool-of-death-thing and beckon her forward.

Della shrugged her shoulders and said yes. She jumped in and let out a playful scream. I think about ditching but I decide against it. Della's trying to be nice to me, a Neverseen agent, and I have to respect that. Sighing I step forward hesitantly. I wish Fitz were here. Every time he's around I feel safe. Secure. Glancing behind me I jump, screaming bloody murder. I land on a sponge like thing. Opening my eyes I expect to be drenched. But to my surprise I am completely dry. I pat myself down and look for Della. I find her grinning at me.

"Wasn't that fun?"

"Uh...sure."

I hop off the cushion the sponge put me on and gaze around. I feel my mouth drop open in amazement. The city was encircled in a dome of air. Towers made of crystal rose into the air. Building and homes lined the stone pathways. Blue light seemed to glow off everything. I go to stand by Della.

"This is amazing. I wish Thom-" I stop. Thom. Oh gosh, I totally forgot about him. I spin to face Della.

"Where's Thom? And Jake? Did they ever leave Havenfield?"

Della calms my nervousness with a smile.

"They're fine. They decided to stay at Havenfield for the night. They will be rejoining us in a bit. The Councilors want to talk to them too."

I sigh. Thank goodness they're safe.

"You ready?" Della asks.

I nod. We walk towards the city. Elves were dressed up in elegant gowns and suits. It looked like they were all heading towards the biggest tower in Atlantis.

"Why are they so dressed up?" I ask Della.

She claps her hands and smiles. "Oh! I forgot! I don't know how I did, I mean, we were invited and-" I interrupt her.

"You got invited to what?"

"We got invited to The Fall Ball! ( that was the best I could come up with ) It's a three night thing and all the nobles are welcome. You have to get dressed up in fancy clothing and oh! I am so excited! We're going tomorrow," Della explains while we walked.

"We have to shop for dresses. Oh, Rowan do you want to join us?"

Della's question caught me off guard. I'm not a Noble. My parents aren't Nobles. But it might be fun, a part of me thinks. It MIGHT. That's the key word here. Might. I sigh. I don't see Della not letting me go.

"Sure. It sounds fun," I lie.

"I bet the errands can wait. We need to get our dresses first. If we get that done we could have enough time for the errands," Della decides.

We enter a store filled with dresses. One had fur peeking out of the color. Ew. Della led me to one of the racks. Dresses varying in sizes hung from the metal bar. She grabbed five of them and shoved them into my arms.

"Go try these on. I'll be waiting outside the door."

I head into the dressing room and lock the door behind me. Setting the dresses down I rifle trough them. Taking off my tunic and leggings I slip the first one on. I turn and look at myself in the mirror. I gasp and cover my mouth. To put it mildly, I looked horrible.

The dress was lime green with purple fur lining the bottom. The material was itchy and scratching me. A belt fit snug against my stomach. Some more purple fur puffed out the neckline and tickled my cheek. The sleeves went down mid-arm. It stopped by my ankles. I spit out fur from my mouth and unlock the dressing room door. Della gives me one look and shakes her head.

"That one's a no," she says.

Closing the door I hurriedly take it off. I sigh when it comes free from my body. I put on the next one. I look...decent. The dress touched the ground and was completely black. It had spaghetti straps that kind of dug into my shoulders. Lines of sparkles rose up from the bottom so that it looked like they were climbing the dress. I open the door and let Della see me. She smiles when she sees me and clasp her hands.

"That one is so cute. Can you give a little twirl?" I oblige and spin around.

The dress fans out. It surprises me when the fabric starts to change color. Red replaces the black. I stop spinning and the red fades away. I look up at Della.

"What just happened?"

"Looks like this is a dress that responds to movement. Every time you dance the dress will change colors. Let's definitely keep that one in mind."

I nod and go to try on another dress. I hang the red/black dress back on it's hanger. I try on another and the hem fell to the ground. I look at myself in the mirror and gasp, but this time not in horror. I actually look beautiful. Not cute, like a child, but beautiful, like a woman. I smile and examine my dress. Starting from the bottom the dress is black. Then it blends into navy blue, then teal, then finally aqua. Swirls of diamonds cover the bodice and it has a sweetheart neckline. I know, without trying on the others, that this was the one.

I excitedly open the door and smile when Della gasps and her eyes fill with tears.

"Oh, Rowan. This is the one. Totally. Come on out and let me see."

I step out and twirl. When I stop I catch a teenage boy with periwinkle eyes staring at me. He blushes and goes back to looking for suits. My face flames and I look away. He looked like Dex Dizznee. I go back in and change into my normal clothes. I help Della shop for a dress and we pick a yellow one littered with sparkles that stops at the knee. We finish the errands and head back ho-. Wait. I don't think Everglen is my home. I mean, I'm not part of the family or anything. Home is back at the Neverseen base. Wasn't it? Everglen is not your home, I chide myself. And it never will be.

Hey! Don't forget to R&R! TILL MY NEXT CHAPTERS. LOVES!