Fire in Your Eyes

Rowan's P.O.V.

I shift my hands in there binds, trying to find a position that makes the rope not cut into my wrists. My tied feet feel like tiny needles were stabbing the inside of my foot. I glare at Jake, making my hatred more obvious. Thom starts to stir next to me, groaning in his unconscious state. Both of us were tied to chairs that sat in the middle of the room. Jake shuffles around, squirting liquid out of syringes, sharpening knives. He obviously has a lot of time. I keep trying to burn the rope off but Jake must have put something on the rope to make it fireproof. Jake gagged me after several witty, mean remarks, so I can't ask him what he was doing.

Jake walks toward me, smirking. If looks could kill, Jake would be dead on the floor by now. Thom mutters something, making me glance at him. Aimer and Kayla left, taking their guilty glances with them, so I was the only one here to keep Thom away from harm.

"So...enjoying the dance?" Jake casually stands over me, smiling.

I just glare.

"Oh right. You can't talk." Jake reaches toward me and I jerk back.

"Do you want this thing off or not?" He hisses.

I allow him to take my gag off. When he does I answer his question.

"No, cause you showed up," I answer, anger oozing off my words.

Jake puts a hand over his heart. "That hurt, Row."

"Good," I spat.

"Good," he mimics in an awful imitation of my raspy voice.

"How did you even get here without anybody seeing you?" I ask after a moment of angry silence.

"I teleported."

"You can teleport?" a raw voice asked.

Both of us turn to see Thom staring at Jake. I gasp now that I finally see his face. It was swollen, blue, purple, and red. I don't think Thom used makeup for that. Jake smiles his now creepy, slimy smile.

"You woke up, finally. I was wandering if I accidentally gave you to much sedative," Jake says, avoiding Thom's question. He grins and taps a bottle filled halfway with blue liquid he retrieved from his pocket.

Thom's face turns red and shouts a bunch of words at Jake that I could never repeat, obviously forgetting his earlier question. Jake takes it in silence, not seeming fazed. I wish he at least felt guilty for hurting Thom. And me.

...

Fitz's P.O.V.

We follow the trail of ash. Sophie and I in front, then Mom and Dad, then Biana, Dex and Keefe keeping watch at the beginning of the hallway.

"You sure she started to get agitated when that couple arrived?" Sophie asks for what seemed like the hundredth time.

I nod, keeping my eyes on the trail. Abruptly, it ends. I  groan and rip my hands through my hair, turning to Sophie.

"Can you track her thoughts?" I ask. Mom comes and puts a reassuring hand on my arm.

"I can try," Sophie says, closing her eyes.

The rest of us wait impatiently, watching Sophie. I hear footsteps coming towards is and I turn to the sound. Keefe and my sister come running up to us, careful to avoid the ashes.

"What are you doing?" Dad asks.

"No one was coming so we decide to help you guys," Biana answers.

Dad sighs and was about to answer when Sophie's eyes snapped open and she pointed down the hall. "This way."

...

Rowan's P.O.V.

Thom stops his cursing and pants heavily. I have the urge to grab his hand, but I can't, the ropes preventing me. Jake walks away from us, stopping in front of a metal dish. When he moved it, a clanging sound rang out. Even though I couldn't see him, I swear I could feel him smile.

"He's awake," an awfully familiar voice says.

I turn my head and find Mr. In walking towards us. I feel my eyes widen and I press against the back of my chair.

"Well hello again, Rowan. I am so happy you got our note." Mr. In stops in front Thom.

"And hello to you, Mr. Llarm. You have a little something right...there." Mr. In brushes his hand against Thom's swollen face, making him gasp in pain.

Mr. In laughs and stands back up. I feel my body shake from anger as I follow Mr. In with my eyes. He bends in front of me, his pale eyes glinting. I feel his hot breath on my face.

"Why are you doing this?" I whisper, never taking my eyes off his face.

"Why does anyone do anything?" He whispers back. His face slowly twists into a smile.

He straightens and looks down at me. I look away, staring at my dress. Thom nudges my foot with his own, making me look at him. He nods at my boot. I glance at my right boot, looking back at Thom with a puzzled expression. He sweeps his eyes to my boot again and nods his head. I look at it again, staring at it. A picture of my dagger fills my mind and I mentally slap myself. I am so stupid. I totally forgot about my knife. I smile at Thom to acknowledge I figured out what he was trying to say.

Before I can make a move for my dagger the door flies open. Fitz was the first one in, then Alden, Della, and Sophie. Keefe, Dex, and Biana were nowhere to be seen. I collapse against the wall. No, no, no. They can't be here. They will, no doubt, get hurt. Sophie stops short when she sees Mr. In and Jake.

"Brant?" She asks.

"Jake?" Fitz asks at the same time.

Brant. The name echoes in my head. The name of my captor and torturer. I stare at his face. But the movement of Alden whipping out a melder shifts my attention. I jerk against my binds and Fitz directs his attention to me and Thom. Brant's hand erupts in flames and I strain against my ties desperately and shout. Sophie and Alden stand face to face with Jake and Brant. Sophie starts shaking and Alden's finger tightens on the melder's trigger. Fitz reaches me and starts untying me. Della vanishes and I hear her footsteps going towards Thom.

"You okay?" Fitz asks me, struggling with the knots.

"How could I be?" I answer.

"Fair enough." Fitz grunts as he works to untie the rope.

Brant raises the fireball. I feel the rope slacken and fall away from my wrists. I hop to my feet and run at Brant. I hear Fitz, Della, and Thom call after me but I ignore them. I tackle Brant right when he throws the fireball and Alden fires the melder. Brant and I fall to the ground and the melder blast hits Jake before he can react. The room erupts into flames and smoke. Brant pushes me off him. I grab my knife and shove him back. Brant throws another fireball at me but I catch it.

"Rowan!" I hear someone scream.

I don't answer. Instead I pray that everyone got out safe. Except maybe for Jake. I toss the ball of fire into the flames. I go to pin Brant on the floor but he hurled a goblin throwing star at me. I dodge, but barely. My lungs struggle to draw in air and I start coughing.

"Rowan!" I hear again.

I collapse to my knees, hacking. Brant stands over me.

"Give up?"

"Never," I answer.

I shakily stand and Brant lets me. He smiles, the flames distorting his features. I clutch my knife and smile.

"Do you give up? I'm the one with the weapon." I say, my confidence slowly growing.

"That's where your wrong." Brant pulled a syringe out of his cloak.

Before I could react he plunges the syringe into my arm.

"That didn't do anyt-" I stop short when the room starts spinning.

I stumble and fall to my knees a second time. I cough and black spots dance across my eyes. Brant laughs. I fall to my side and watch Brant light-leap away. I stare into the advancing flames. I close my eyes and accept the fact that the one thing I was partially good at was going to kill me.