The Brother

Fitz's POV

Her hair is tickling my cheek. I glance down at her face and smile. She looks so peaceful. Rowan's eyes seem to hold a kind of...ancientness to them. It's like she's seen a lot of things. More things than me, Sophie, and the others have seen. I look around the group gathered in Havenfields living room. It's sad that I'll have to leave to go back home. I want to stay and comfort Rowan if she has another nightmare. I was only there yesterday because I was too tired to light leap. I stayed in a guest room.

Biana, Dex, and that guy Jake was sitting on one of the couches. Thom woke up and was sitting up on the other couch. He looked better since last night. Not as pale. Sophie was there with Keefe, Grady, and Edaline. The Councilors left, finally, a couple minutes ago. But not before they won the argument of coming back tomorrow morning to question Rowan. They others haven't noticed Rowan sleeping on my shoulder and I don't mention it. She's comfortable where she is. Is that the only reason why you won't mention it? A part of my brain asks. Shut up.

Jake keeps glaring at me. What was this guy's problem? Rowan said he had a girlfriend so, why does he keep looking at me and Rowan. I return his glare. All of us are quiet for a moment.

"So where is Rowan going to stay?" Sophie finally asked. She sat close to Keefe. I was jealous of them at first, but I'm over it now. Sophie was destined for Keefe. They were a good couple.

"She could stay with us," Dad offered.

Hope flared up in my chest. Abruptly, Rowan began to whimper in her sleep. The others finally noticed her. Keefe raised an eyebrow at me and smirked. I shoot him a playful glare. He holds up two thumbs up. I shake my head and smile. Rowan's whimpering got louder and she started to pant.

"Do we wake her up or...?" I ask the others, keeping my voice soft.

"Sure," Grady answered.

"Rowan," I whisper, moving my shoulder a little.

She doesn't do anything. I glance at the others, a question in my eyes.

"You know what we should do?" Keefe tells us.

"What?" Dex asks.

"We should put shaving cream on her hand and tickle her nose." Keefe looks at us for agreement.

"How about no." I hear from beside me. Rowan slowly lifts her head and looks at Keefe.

"Feel free to do it to your girlfriend. But don't do it to me," she says to him.

Sophie blushes and glares at Rowan. Rowan leans away from me and winces, her hand flying to her shoulder.

"Where am I staying? Cause if I'm staying here, I want to go to bed," Rowan asks.

Grady, Edaline, Mom, and Dad all looked at each other. Dad gives one nod of his head and I realize they were having a telepathic conversation.

"Rowan will stay with us till further notice," Dad confirmed.

Rowan nods and tries to stand. She yelps and holds her shoulder. She waves me off when I go to help her.

"No, no, I'm fine. My shoulder is kind of hurting, but I kind of expected that with being stabbed in the shoulder," Rowan says.

"Can we go?" she asks Mom and Dad.

"We still have matters to discus, but Biana and Fitz can take you," Dad answers, looking at me.

Can you? he transmits to me.

I nod and stand.

"Ugh, Dad, do I have to? Can't Fitz do it?" Biana complains. When Dad gives her a look she sighs.

"See you guys later, I guess," she grumbles to Keefe and Sophie.

She grabs my hand and glares at Rowan. I mean, I get why she would be mad that Neverseen agent is staying at us but, really? Rowan grabs my other hand and I blush. Nodding at the others I raise my pathfinder and we glitter away.

We arrive at the gates and Rowan gasps.

"Whoa. What are you trying to do? Blind your guest?" Rowan shields her eyes and turns to me, raising her eyebrows.

I shrug and smile. Biana stomps to the gates and they open, revealing Alvar.

"Hey. Who's this?" He motions to Rowan.

"A friend," I answer.

"More like an enemy," Biana mutters before she walks up the path.

Alvar raises an eyebrow after Biana and turns to me.

"Just a friend?"

"Yeah, just a friend," Rowan tells him. She starts to walk up the path but glances behind her at me.

"You coming? I have no idea where I'm going."

I nod and strides towards her. When I pass Alvar he smirks and whispers.

"You got a good one there, Brother."

I scowl at him and blush. Then I follow Rowan.