18 | reunited

HUMAN TRIAS

When I woke up again, it was bright.

The brightness was blinding and it took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the light. When they did, I observed my surroundings, trying to recall the last conscious moment I experienced.

Clarke, Anya and I were just outside the walls of the Ark.

Anya got shot, and then I blacked out.

Looking around, I could see that I was in some type of medical recovery room. There were rows of beds lining the wall and medical equipment lying around. I managed to switch positions on the bed to get a better view at my surroundings. An IV bag was attached to my arm, accompanied by the wrap around my leg. I could feel a stitch or two on my cheek, presumably from the gun I'd been knocked out by.

I slowly sat up, feeling an ache in all parts of my body. My hands ripped the IV from my arm and as I was undoing the bandage from my leg, someone interrupted, walking in.

"Whoa, hey," he tried, carrying a bottle of water and a bowl of fruit.

I glanced up at him, immediately recognizing the face. "Jackson," I breathed out, feeling tears escape my eyes. Never in my life had I been so thankful to see a familiar face.

When he reached me, I pulled him into a hug, softly crying on his shoulder. "Oh, my God, Jackson!" He rubbed my back softly as he hugged me back.

Jackson was in Go-Sci, working within Ark Station Medical with Dr. Griffin, Clarke's mom.

"Hey, hey, Ryder," he comforted me as he pulled away, wiping he tears from my eyes. "You're okay, you're safe," he kept repeating until I calmed down from my hysteria. "How are you feeling?"

I tried to stretch my arms. "Everything hurts. How long have I been asleep?" I asked as he retied my leg wrap and placed the IV tube back into my arm. He then handed me the water and food.

I managed to chug the bottle and gobble down the fruit, never realizing just how long it'd been since I'd left Mount Weather and had a decent meal. "Almost ten hours," he answered my question.

My eyes widened as I placed the fruit bowl down, wiping away at my mouth. How could I have let my slumber last so long? Our friends were still stuck in Mount Weather and I had just spent nearly half a day resting. "Ten hours? Where's Clarke? We have to get back to Mount Weather–"

"Ryder, you need to relax. Clarke is fine. You're not strong enough to do anything yet."

I shook my head, once again releasing the IV from my arm and turned to Jackson. "I feel fine," I stated, trying to convince myself more than him. I threw my legs to the side of the bed before hopping down and grabbing my boots. I felt a little wobbly but it was nothing I couldn't handle. It was nothing compared to what Harper and Monty were probably feeling. "Did anyone else make it?" I asked Jackson, shrugging on my jacket.

Jackson nodded. "Six of you."

My head snapped up as I finished tying my laces. "Bellamy?" Jackson nodded once again, taking a huge weight off my shoulders. I sighed in relief, running a hand through my hair. "And Octavia?" I knew it was a bit of a reach but if the older Blake was fine, the younger one had to be too. Right?

Jackson nodded once again, grinning softly. "They're both just fine," he said, rubbing a hand down my arm.

"So you know I'm not going to stay here, right?"