Chapter Twenty-Four

(Jack's P.O.V.)

I stop and look at her. I take a good look at her eyes to make sure her words aren't deceiving me. "Y-you... you hear voices too?"

She nods and smiles. "You're never alone, Jack. Even when you think you are, you're not." She lets go and sits down next to me.

"Ya know... I underestimated you." She laughs.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"I know, Jack..." She looks at me, then back at the wall ahead of her.

Shit.

How does she know?

Felix.

I should've known.

I sigh, "Okay.. what do you want to know?"

Her face lights up, yet immediately goes back into a dazed state. "Who was it that you killed?" She whispers.

"I knew you'd ask that.." I run my fingers through my hair. Of course she would ask that question. "Um.. well, where do I start?"

-

(Y/N's P.O.V.)

I listen intently to this boy as he tells me the whole backstory as to who he has murdered. It was his uncle. He killed his uncle. Tragic backstory, but he killed him for multiple reasons rather than just one.

Jack started to cry a little, and I tried my best to comfort him without getting in trouble. He kept telling me that it wasn't his fault, that the voices kept persuading him to kill his uncle, it wasn't a free choice. I just continued to hug him with my left arm and rub his shoulder, trying my best to calm him down before it's time to leave. I told him that I didn't care whether or not he killed anyone. I love him because of him, no matter the mistakes he has made in the past. It's in the past for a reason. You learn from your mistakes, not grieve over them.

"Is it just me or is it hot in here?" Jack laughs nervously, starting to stand up.

"Yeah, it is starting to get warm." I stand up aswell. "Maybe it's just because of our body heat. We were hugging, so.."

"Yeah, that's true." He breathes out.

"Line up!" The staff says, then blows into a whistle.

"Just in time." I laugh and push Jack's shoulder.

"Yeah.." He grins.

I head to the front of the line, as Jack heads to the back. The supervisor announces into their walkie-talkie that we're headed back to our unit. We all walk into our assigned unit, then head down the hall to our designated rooms. I stop at room 307, as Jack walks passed me to his room, room 311. I laugh as I remember dreaming that I was in his room, literally. I was apparently a staff member, and I was looking at my body that was on one of the beds. Maybe it was him sleeping in the other bed..? I did see two bodies. Eh, that doesn't matter now.

We all stand patiently in front of our doors, waiting for the staff to unlock them. Some patients are too tired, so they sit on the floor. Once the staff open my door, my roommate and I walk in and go to our beds. She grabs some clothes and sits at the door frame, waiting for them to bring the light pink buckets.

"I'm going to change in the bathroom real quick, just a heads up." I tell my roommate, so she doesn't accidentally walk in on me changing. As usual, she doesn't reply, but instead nods her head. I grab a new set of clothes and I make sure to keep the bathroom light off so I'm not as noticable through the curtain. I quickly change, and step out. As soon as I'm out, Signe rushes into the bathroom.

I set my dirty clothes into the little bucket on the bottom shelf, and look down at my body. I have a pair of maroon sweatpants on, and a baggy black t-shirt. I shrug and sit at my door frame. I look down the hall in the direction of the front desk and look at all of the patients sitting at their doors. I smile since they allow this, but only sometimes. I think they are just being nice today.

"Psst!" I hear a person whisper yell. I look to my right and of course.. it's Jack.

I giggle and wave at him. He waves back. "How was your day?"

I give him an 'ok' symbol, and he laughs. "It's still really warm." I say. He nods his head and shrugs.

"Are you going to go to bed at all?" I ask him, trying to sit in a more comfortable position on the floor.

"They keep me awake." He told me as he tapped his temple with his index finger.

"Ahh! I see!" I laugh. "Me too, but not all the time.."

"True," He chuckles. "Some nights I get some sleep." I smile to myself, looking at the floor and covering my face with my hands.

I like him too much..

After about ten minutes of talking, we realize that the staff haven't told us to go to bed or even checked on us at all, yet.

"Why haven't the staff escorted us into our rooms yet?" Jack wondered, looking down the hall at the staff member at the front desk. "They've been talking to the nurse for the past five minutes.."

"I don't know," I say in all honesty. "What I do know is that it's extremely hot in here."

Jack nods and scratches his head. His face looks worried. "You okay?" I ask him.

He looks up, "Me? Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

I shrug, "You just looked a little worried there for a second. I got concerned, is all." He nods again.

Something doesn't seem right...

"Okay everyone! Time to go to bed! Get in your rooms!" The staff ushers us off to bed. Almost everyone gets off of the floor and walks into their rooms.

"Goodnight, (Y/N)." Jack smiles at me before saluting. I salute back, "Goodnight, Jack." He laughs and walks into his room. I walk to my bed and sit down.

I love him..