Chapter Six

I follow the nurse, barely walking five feet, and end up in front of a door with the title 'DOCTOR'S OFFICE' imprinted. To my right is the door to the dayroom. I take a step back and look through the small glass panel. I see a girl in the very right corner of the room in a chair with her legs snuggled up to her chest with her arms wrapped around them. She catches me staring and I look around nervously, my face getting warm. I take a step forward to where she can't see me anymore and I start to breathe heavily.

Moments pass, and she walks through the door. My eyes go wide and she notices. "You okay?" She asks, smiling warmly at me.

"Me? Uhh... yeah! I'm fine, what about you?" I stutter slightly, taking in her appearance.

"Oh, I'm fine! I just saw you looking around, so I thought I'd come say hello." She giggles. Her laugh is so cute.

"Oh... sorry about that. It's not what I-"

"Ahem!" The nurse raises an eyebrow at me.

"Sorry sir, we were just talking!" I apologize quickly.

"Coda, go back in the dayroom. You know you aren't supposed to be talking to patients from a different unit than you, especially when there are no supervisors around." The nurse says to her sternly. Coda. That's her name.

"Yes sir, I know. I just needed to use the restroom and saw him standing here, looking quite lost, so I thought I'd try to help him." Coda explains.

"He isn't lost, dear. Now go to the restroom really quick, and then get back in the dayroom, alright?" He gives her a warm smile.

"Yes, sir." She says, then turns back to me. "I'm Coda, by the way. If that wasn't already obvious."

"I'm Jack." I say.

"Nice to meet you, Jack!" She smiles, then walks off. She's very pretty. My thoughts are halted by someone grabbing my shoulders.. rather roughly. I look behind me to see the security guard from earlier.

"Don't be a smart ass this time..." He says lowly.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" I grinned sarcastically.

"Better watch that mouth of yours, kid." He grits and shoves me a little. Well, okay then. I thought staff weren't allowed to put their hands on you unless a code was given... guess it's different here.

-

After about five minutes, the door opens and a different patient walks out and into the dayroom.

"Next!" The doctor says. I walk inside the well-organized room and see Dr. R sitting at his desk.

"Close the door." He strictly demands.

Jesus... calm down.

"I know, right..." I whisper under my breath. I close the door gently, trying not to make any noise. The doctor always scared me. He was always so strict and even though he asks so many questions... it's like he knows everything already.

"Take a seat." He says, directing his hand towards the seat in front of him. I obey his command.

"So tell me... why did you get involved?" He immediately questions.

"Involved in what?" I raise my eyebrow.

"You know 'what'," He says. "Please don't play dumb with me, I know you aren't that stupid."

"I got involved because they were hurting Spencer." I blurt out, already getting irritated at this questioning session.

"Jack, you know that wasn't the case..." He sighs. Dr. R puts his head in his hands and moved his glasses to rub his eyes.

"If that wasn't the case, why would they pin him to the floor like that? I thought a code 100 meant to have people come in and comfort him. Not hold him back like that." I say, frustrated.

"Jack, calm down. We had to restrain him because if we didn't he could've injured himself, or worse, he could've hurt the other patients. The staff said he flipped a whole table over and started picking at his skin, is that correct?" He stared me down like I was some nuisance.

"Whatever." I get up and walk towards the door. I was already tired of this conversation.

"Sit back down. We aren't finished talking." He commands.

I sigh. Breathe, Jack.... breathe.

"Good," Dr. R says as I sit back down. "We have to put you back on an anxiety and depression medication. It'll only be one, but it'll help with both your anxiety and your depression. As for your anger medication, it's being raised from 30 mg to 40 mg, alright? It'll be best for you." He says.

"What?! Why?" I yell. I hate being put on more meds than I have to. I don't need that anxiety medication again.

"That's why," He says, pointing at me. I didn't realize I stood back up... "Jack, you're starting to become one of our worst patients. You're really giving us a scare by the way you're acting up..." He continues, "If we don't do something like this now, you'll get worse, and end up putting the people around you in danger as well. We just want what's best for you. We're here to help you, not hurt you."

"I'm not dangerous... I didn't mean to do this... it wasn't my fault," I whisper. "It was someone else!!" I yell. I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed a fist full of Dr. Douchebag's white coat, my grip turning my knuckles completely white. He was trying to stop me all the while my thoughts clouded my every movement. They think something is wrong with me? What's wrong with me? What is making people think that I'm the bad guy all the time?

As my thoughts blinded me to what was happening, I was finally brought back to reality when I was already out of the room, being escorted by a security guard once again. This was my life I guess. I immediately felt weak and tired. My body wanted to give up.

My hearing started to come back, hearing phrases such as:
"He's becoming dangerous."
"We need to have him supervised at all times."
"Medication can't be the only solution to this."

I looked around me. Blurry figures whizzed around me. I was at a loss for words. Darkness started to engulf my senses until I was no longer conscious.