Chapter Twenty-Three

(Y/N's P.O.V.)

After I spent about ten minutes with the nurse, I went to the dayroom. As soon as I entered, everyone's eyes were on me. Jack came rushing to me, "Coda! How are you feeling?"

"I could be better." I laugh.

He frowns and pouts. "Oh, don't be like that!" I say, and push his shoulder. He chuckles and we go sit down in one of the corners.

-

Jack and I spend the rest of the day together, getting to know a little more about each other, I got to sit at his table with him and Serenity. Serenity also noticed that we were trying to spend time together, so she left us alone for the most part, which was very nice of her, but I felt bad. She must have felt pretty excluded.

Serenity was sitting in a chair near us, as Jack and I sat in the usual corner. We never really payed attention to the television, but something remarkable caused the entire room to divert their attention towards the small screen.

"We hear today that there has been a unique set of courses that took place not too long ago, that has caused the entire southeast to draw in panic. As we look from a bird's eye view, you can clearly see that there is a fire [pause] that has been caused by a group of unruly teenagers. As we approach this dangerous area to examine even more, it is evident that the fire is spreading [pause] from not only the houses but to the trees."

The news reporter continues, as I look at the rest of the patients and then at Jack. He has a neutral expression, so I assume he's not necessarily amused or shocked at all by these series of events that are occurring.

"Um... Jack?" I start.

"Yeah?" He looks at me.

"Are you okay? You don't seem to be affected by any of the events that just took place..?" I ask, curiosity seeping through my words.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking, really.." He trails off a bit.

He seems a little out of it. I don't know.. maybe I should talk to him about it? No.. I just tried, and I don't think he necessarily wants to, by the way he responded. I'll try to bring it up later.

"What if that fire spreads to us?" Jack asks out of the blue.

"What?! Jack, that's impossible. Firefighters are most likely already on the case of putting it out. I highly doubt that will happen. Plus, it's miles away from us!" I retort.

He sighs, "You're right. I shouldn't freak myself out like that.." He smiles at me. I smile back at him, noticing that he listened and agreed with me.

"When is dinner?" I ask him.

Leaning forward, he checks the clock on the wall behind us. "In about twenty minutes."

Hmm.. what can we do in twenty minutes? More importantly, what can we talk about? I've ran out of questions ages ago.

"What do you want to talk about?" I ask Jack.

"Uh..." He scratches his head. "I don't know."

"Me neither, that's why I asked you." I laugh and nudge his shoulder. He laughs aswell, yet he seems nervous.

"Are you sure you're alright? You seem a bit off.." I tilt my head.

"Well, I was going to ask you something, but it's kind of stupid.." His cheeks turn a light shade of red as he looks away.

"There's no such thing as a stupid question." I laugh.

"Uh... well, you see, I-"

"Everybody up! Let's get moving! Dinner time!" Jack is cut off by the supervisor announcing that it is time for us to eat.

As we all stand up, I look at Jack. "I thought you said dinner wasn't for another twenty minutes..?"

"I must have read the clock wrong." He looks at it once more. I nod.

As always, the girls are forced to the front of the line, as the boys are stuck in the back. The supervisor being up front, counts everyone to make sure we don't miss someone being in the restroom or anything. Once they have checked everyone, they open the door so we can all line up in the hallway.

We stand in the hallway for a good three minutes before the supervisor says into their walkie-talkie, "Adolescent unit heading to the cafeteria." As they unlocked the double doors.

We walk to the cafeteria. Jack, Serenity and I all sit at our table in the wall pocket. When we are all settled into the room, the supervisor tells the girls to get in line for their food. "Brb." Serenity giggles as we both make our way to the line.

"Hey, thank you for allowing Jack and I a little time to ourselves. That was extremely nice of you. I know you must have felt pretty excluded, which I apologize for..." I tell Serenity once we reach the end of the line to grab our trays.

"Don't mention it! It's fine, really. I can tell you both like each other, and I don't want to ruin that for you two, or get in the way." My cheeks heat up and I look away. I grab a small foam cup and fill it with water. "See? That only proved my point! You blushed just at the mention of him." She laughed. I let out a small chuckle and smiled at her.

As we head back to the table, they tell the boys to get in line. Jack smiles, and walks passed us. Serenity looks at me as she opens a small plastic box of cereal, "I hope everything goes well for you two." I smile. She's so nice. "Thank you, Serenity." She nods at me, then gets back to pouring her milk.

Once Jack gets back to the table, we all eat in peace, asking each other questions and joking around every now and then. Until Jack starts to get sad.

"Something wrong, Jack?" Serenity decides to speak up.

He keeps his stare at the table, and slowly shakes his head no. "I'm fine." He mutters.

He's obviously not fine...

"Jack, I know you're not.." I say.

He refuses to look at either one of us, "I said I'm fine." He growls.

Woah..

I look at Serenity and tap her lightly to let her know that we should leave him alone for a minute. She nods, then goes back to eating.

After about ten minutes of pure silence, the supervisor tells us to throw away our leftovers and get back into a line at the door. Serenity and I walk together and throw away our trash. As we walk towards the door to line up, I look at Jack to see him slumping in his chair slightly. After a few seconds, he slowly rises from his chair and walks towards the trash bin windows.

What happened to him?

I'll ask him what's wrong when we're in the gym.

We all exit the cafeteria, and enter the gym, which is conveniently right across the hall from one another. As soon as we infiltrate the gym, I turn around to find Jack walking into his corner.

He hugs his knees and I hear light sobs as I walk closer to him. I sit down and put my hand on his shoulder, to only make him cry louder. "Jack, please tell me what's wrong... I want to help you." I beg.

He lifts his head and looks at my eyes. His blood shot blue eyes make it look like lightning struck an ocean. His eyes are a storm that I always get lost in. He puts his face back into his knees and cries some more. I rub his shoulder, "Jack, please?" I ask.

"T-they are telling me to-..." He sniffles.

"Who's telling you to what?" I ask him.

He only cries more. "Jaaack.." I drag out his name.

He stops crying and wipes his eyes with the back of his hand. He looks into my eyes for a little, then immediately looks to the floor and sighs. "I hear voices... no one would love a guy like that." Jack said, obviously ashamed as he hung his head low.

I sigh.

You have no idea how bad I just want to tell you how I feel... but I can't.

I continue to comfort this broken boy in my arms, as I wrap him into a tight hug. His sobbing stops, and the world seems to be more at peace with itself.

"I hear them too."