Chapter Three

We were standing in line. All of us from ages five to seventeen. We were the adolescent unit, so we were stuck with the kids as well, but at least we get separate rooms from them throughout the day. Serenity was in front of me and Felix was behind me. We were waiting for the staff to take attendance and unlock the hallway door so we can head to the cafeteria, but Spencer wouldn't get out of bed.

Spencer was probably the only kid I could stand in this unit. He was a little talkative, but he was really cool. I'm pretty sure he thinks the same of me too.

"Spencer, it's time to get up and eat breakfast, buddy." The staff spoke softly to him.

"Ugh! Do I have to?" He whines, which makes me smile.

"Yes little bud, we have to watch all of you at the same time. Besides, you don't see any others sleeping in, do ya?"

"Fine... but can I sit next to JJ this time?" He pleads, showing the lady his best puppy dog eyes. JJ is the nickname he gave me when I ended up being taken away from the teens room and put into the kids room because there wasn't enough space one day. That's how we met and became friends.

"Spencer... you know the rules. Kids and teenagers at different tables, remember?" She seems to be getting a little impatient now.

"Yes, miss... I remember." He says sadly.

I saw him being escorted to the front of the line, having a sad look in his eyes when he walked passed me.

"Aw, poor kid." Felix whispered.

"Okay everyone! Please settle down, no talking. Remember to keep in a straight line when walking to the cafeteria. No pushing or shoving, keep your hands to yourself. Got it?"
The staff orders. There was a mixture of 'got it's, and 'yes ma'am's, and then we were on our way.

-

Each table had four chairs, and every time we chose a table, it would be Felix, Serenity, and I together at the farthest table to the right in a little pocket in the wall. Everyone else was occupied with other patients and friends and some just liked to be on their own.

"Okay, ladies first. Grab your food." A male staff says from the front of the room.

"Be right back, guys." Serenity says and stands up to grab her tray. I used to not eat, because I'm very self conscious, especially about my weight, but Felix and Serenity told me that they have cameras to surveillance the room to see whether or not you're eating. If you don't eat, even if it's just for one meal, they add an extra day until your discharge, which in turn, makes you have to stay here longer. Serenity sits down with a tray of her usual breakfast of two small square packets of cereal, two small cartons of milk, and a spoon. She starts to rip open the cereal and pour the milk into it.

"Okay, boys you're up!" Felix and I get up simultaneously, walking over to the bin, picking up a tray and some napkins and gliding it across the small metal ledge to choose our meal through the thick plastic.

"What can I get for you?" The cafeteria man asks Felix.

"I'll take some pancakes and bacon, please." Felix says, and they hand him a small plate of what he ordered and then turn to me.

"And what would you like?"

"Um, can I get my usual?" I ask nervously for some reason.

"And what is your 'usual'?" He asks me. Duh, I don't know why I said 'my usual'. I don't even know what my usual is.

"Oh, uh... a sandwich." I stutter.

"What kind of sandwich? Ham? Turkey?"

"Turkey." I say, and he kindly hands me a plastic box containing a fairly large turkey sandwich with apple sauce, potato chips, and a two-pack of oreos. I thank him, and walk back to my table. I sit down next to Felix, Serenity sitting across from him, and an empty chair in front of me.

"Can I have your oreos?" Felix asks, holding his hand out for me to place them.

"Sure." I say, setting them on his palm.

"You always ask for his oreos..." Serenity retorts.

"I know." Felix smirks, ripping open the small package.

"So... did you guys hear about... the new girl?" Felix asks between bites.

Serenity gulps her food and smirks. "I know Jack has."

With my jaw dropped, I pick up my potato chips and throw them at her. "Stop it!"

The bag hit her shoulder and landed right in front of her, which causes her to laugh louder. "Thanks for the chips, man! More food for me!" She holds them up at me.

"Give me potata's back!" I say, reaching over the table.

"Your Irish is showing!" She laughs. Felix chokes on his pancakes, trying to hold in his laughter.

"Oh, shut up!" I say as I look back down at my uneaten sandwich.

"Anyway, turns out the new girl is here because she attempted suicide last night," Felix says, eating another oreo. "Don't ask how I know."

"I mean, isn't that why half of us are here? Because of suicide attempts?" Serenity raises an eyebrow.

"True dat gurl!" Felix says in his 'basic white girl' voice. We all laugh.

"Yeah.." I say, looking around. Until something catches my eye...