Chapter Nine

(Y/N's P.O.V.)

It's been seven days since Jack was first locked up in that room...

I'm starting to believe that he really was the reason the doctor was in such bad shape. Jack has been isolated in that room for far more than just three days. I continuously hear other patients snickering about him and it makes my stomach turn with an uneasy feeling.

I figured out who his friends are; Felix and Serenity. They seem like nice people. I don't see anything wrong with them... but then again I don't see anything wrong with anybody here, but we all have problems. Why else would we be in here?

I've come to also realize that this is a very temporary mental institution. Within my first week here, already four people have been discharged. I asked other people how long they've been here and they normally responded with 'one to two weeks'. Which in real life that isn't that long, but in this situation it feels like an eternity.

What if I'm stuck in here forever?

What if I never see Jack again?

What if they continue to add days to my discharge countdown?

What if-

I shake my head to rid my thoughts and decide to do something I'm not very good at.

Talking to people.

I walk over to Serenity. "H-hey. I'm (Y/N), but you c-can call me Coda. What's your name?" I stutter.

Shit. That was embarrassing...

"Oh, hi! It's nice to meet you (Y/N)! I'm Serenity!" She smiles warmly at me. She's so kind. I wonder why she's in here..

"Oh. Um... I'm good, I guess. Kinda worried, how are you?"

"Aw, why are you worried, if you don't mind me asking. And I'm fine! No need to be concerned about me!" She smiles again.

I realize how rude I must've looked for not doing so aswell, so I smiled kindly back. "Oh, well, I'm just kinda worried about that one guy... Jack. I met him a few days ago and I wanted to get to know him better but I haven't seen him." I explain my thoughts.

Her smile fades. "Oh, yeah... Jack. He uh.. he...." She looks around frantically. "O-oh, look! Felix is back!" She says nervously. What happened? Is there something else Jack has done? Something bad? Has he killed anyone before? I mean, we've all been there...

"Hi, who are you?" Felix asks me as he sits down on the floor with us.

"Oh, um.. sorry. I'm (Y/N), but y-you can call me Coda." I say, holding out my hand for him to shake.

He gladly takes it. "Well hello, Coda. I'm Felix." He smiles. Wow, his teeth are like.. perfect.

"Keep your hands to yourself." The supervisor mumbles loud enough for us to hear.

"Chillax lady, it was just a friendly handshake..." Felix whispers. I giggle, aswell as Serenity.

"So, uhh.. do you know what happened to Jack?" I ask Felix. His face goes pale and he nervously looks at Serenity. "What did he do other than help that kid?" I ask.

"W-why do you want to know so much?" Felix asks me.

"Because you guys are acting very suspicious every time I bring it up, so I'm curious." I say aloud.

"Well, um... you promise you won't freak out or say anything to anyone?" Felix assures.

"Yes I'm sure," I nod then look to Serenity. "Can't be that bad, right?"

"Well..." Serenity speaks up. "Let's not jump to conclusions."

My ears go back in fear. I wonder what he could've done...

-

"And he's still convinced that he didn't do it." Felix whispers, finishing off the story. Holy shit. I underestimated Jack, big time.

"So, let me get this straight.. he couldn't control the voices in his head telling him to kill a loved one and he ended up killing them anyway and he's still convinced to this day that he didn't do it when he clearly did..?" I summarize.

"Yes," They say together.

Well shit. It isn't that bad, though. There are plenty of murderers out there. "Does anyone, besides us, know about this?"

"No," They say. Felix looks into my eyes and grabs one of my hands, sandwiching it between his, he's shaking. "And we need to keep it that way. We can't have anyone knowing, alright?"

"Alright," I say. "I promise I won't tell anyone." I reassure them. They sigh in relief, but they are obviously still tense.

The only question I have is...

Who was it that he killed?

-

(Jack's P.O.V.)

Mark was in the room with me again, it's my seventh day in these stupid rooms. I wonder if Spencer got out..? He probably did, he was only supposed to be in there for a day or two. I wonder if they'll consider letting me out at least a day before I get discharged because then I can have a day of freedom from this room, and then freedom from the whole building itself.

I highly doubt they'll do that...

"You highly doubt everything..."

That's what makes my life fun...

I scoff. What a douche.

You do realize I can hear everything, right?

"Yup.." I sigh. I'm bored. I get up off the floor that I was laying on and go towards Mark. I sit criss-cross in front of him at his feet.

"Uhh..." He seems nervous.. why? He tries to back away but I grab his leg to keep him in place. I pick at the laces of his shoes and play with them. I successfully take the shoelace out of the holes in his shoes and drag the lace, myself included, into the corner I was previously in.

"Hey! That's my shoelace!" I laugh.

I start playing around with the long lace as if I'm a kitten. "Hehe!" I exclaim.

Mark walks over and tries to grab the lace from me. I quickly dodge him and his hand grasps a fist full of air. He grunts and says, "Please give it to me." Whilst patiently holding his hand out.

"Uhm... no!" I giggle like a school girl. He sighs and turns his back on me. I bring the lace back in front of my chest, messing with it once more. Mark suddenly spins around and goes for the shoelace. Again, my reflexes get the best of him and he misses. This time, his balance fails.

Mark lands on top of me. I nervously chuckle. "Uh.. Mark?"

He tenses up, a blush appearing on his face. He's blushing? Well, he's probably embarrassed, that's why. He realizes that he hasn't moved yet, and quickly gets up. "Um... k-keep it." He stutters.

Does Mark like me?