Chapter Fourteen

Adults?!

What do I do? Go tell them that they put me in the wrong unit? Play along? What the fuck do I do?!?

Go tell th-

"Are you going to sit down, boy?" The supervisor asks. His muscular body seemed outrageously large.

"U-uh, I-I..." I squeaked.

"Nervous?" He laughed and walked over to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Stop shakin', kid. Your bones are going to start making rattling noises," He said.

"O-o-okay..." I shuddered at my own words. I was visibly shaking.

"Did you just turn eighteen? And that's why you're here? You're a new one, huh? Haven't seen you around.." He smiles.

Play along...

I nod my head quickly. "Ah!" He pushes me towards the other patients, my feet dug into the carpet. "Everyone please welcome the birthday kid!" He smiles and shakes my shoulders lightly.

No one says or does anything. It's dead silent. Anonymous eyes staring at my every move. My anxiety starts to rise, my breathing becomes unstable, and my heart beat takes off to the races. I can barely breathe..

"What's yo... ame... id?" The man's voice begins to fade. I can't hear anyone or anything. Small black dots take over my eyesight.. becoming bigger and bigger. Until darkness engulfs my entire being.

-

I wake up, surprisingly. I thought I was dead.

Where am I?

I look around. I'm in a... hospital bed? I'm hooked up to several tubes and wires, my heart rate is the only sound in the room.

*beep*

*beep*

*beep*

Over and over like a broken record. What happened? Was that all a dream? Did it really happen?

I lift my arms and look at them. My mental hospital wristband is still on, stating my first and last name, my birthday, and the day I was admitted.

December 14th...

"Woah.." I whisper. A nurse walks in, and she looks insanely familiar.

"Oh, good! You're up!" She smiles and walks over to the side of my bed. "Here's your breakfast, and when you're finished, tell me so we can discuss some things." She says, setting a tray of food in front of me. She walks towards the door to leave.

"Done." I say quickly, my voice extremely raspy from the lack of water. I wasn't hungry.

She turns around and smiles. "Done already??" She laughs. I nod and clear my throat, "So, what exactly happened? Why am I here?" I ask.

"Well, you had a severe anxiety attack, which caused your heart to go into overdrive. You passed out, and eventually had a heart attack in your sleep and we got you into the hospital for medical care immediately," She pauses. "You're very lucky to be alive Mr. McLoughlin. You almost didn't make it. We were starting to get nervous," She laughs a little. "Do you want to know how long you were asleep for?"

I nod my head slowly.

I was asleep??

"You were in a coma for seven years, Seán." She sighs.

What?!

"Would you mind telling me what your name is?" I ask politely.

"I'm Miss (L/N)," She smiles. "But you can call me Coda."
(end of dream)
-

I jolt up, causing the people around me to jump back a little.

"Oh, thank god.." One of them sighs in relief.

What?? Was that all just some crazy nightmare? What is happening??

I can't see anything. "Why can't I see anything?" I ask no one in particular, just hoping for an answer.

"He can't see?!" A female begins to panic.

"Ma'am, I can see, but everything is blurry." I restate.

I hear multiple sighs again.

What the fuck is going on?!?!!?

"Kid, you're in the hospital, remember? You're in the white room.." A familiar voice says next to me.

What? So it was all a dream?

"You passed out in the corner and had a panic attack in your sleep. We tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't." Mark says.

I start to cry. "Oh, c'mon... please don't cry, kid. Look, you're alright. Everything's fine.." The familiar voice says again.

I'm so confused... I want to go home... or better yet...

I want to die.