Chapter Five

[Coda]

I kinda like it here. It feels... freeing, almost. As if this was my only true escape from everything. My parents, school, bullies, and just basically the entire world. I hated how I had to have a roommate, though. I hate people, in the nicest way possible. There is this one guy, though. He seems nice. He has green hair and a crooked smile. I want to talk to him, but I'm too nervous. Especially when his friends are around as well. I don't know, it's just something about him makes me cling to him. As if I'm dying to get to know him or something. I haven't seen him since this morning at breakfast when he walked up to try to help that kid. It was quite surprising, yet, I kinda get an idea on why he did it.

When he gets out of trouble, maybe I'll talk to him.

Maybe...

-

[Jack]

"So... how about we play that new card game I came up with."

Okay. How do you play?

"Easy," I say, sitting up. "It's called King of Hearts. You have four cards... They are all chosen at random, and if you have the King of Hearts, that's practically your instant-lose card. If you have it at any point it is good to lie about having it. Making it seem as if you don't have it; plus, you put your opponent on edge, making them think that they could still have a chance of getting that card when really, you have it. With the other cards, you have to add each number together, including your face cards. A Jack card is 10, a normal King is 10, and a Queen is also 10, and a King of Hearts is -20. You have to get your sum to be at least over 30. If you don't have the King of Hearts, and your sum isn't over 30... you lose... but whoever has the King of Hearts card loses against you even though you lost, too. If neither of you have the King of Hearts, and your totals are both below 30, whoever has the higher number as their sum, wins. Got it?" I explain.

(a/n: this shit don't make no sense lmaooo bear with me I'm just making up random rules)

That doesn't even make sense, nor would that work as a game.

"That's the spirit! Okay, here's your four cards, and here's mine." I say, dealing the cards out in front of me. Earlier I asked for something to entertain myself with at least and the staff gave me a deck of cards.

I didn't ask.

"Alright, got your total?"

Fuck off.

"On the count of three we both say our total. Ready?"

No.

"One, two, three!"

Twenty-one, I guess.

"Sixteen! Damnit, you won." 

We were both surprised as we see the door opening. "Jack, the doctor wants to see you for questioning." A male nurse said.

Of course.

"We'll be fine," I mutter.

"What?" The nurse tilts his head slightly.

"Nothing important." I respond. I stand up and move my hair out of my face, and then follow the nurse to a room where an old man is sitting behind a desk, waiting for me.