Goodbyes Are Always Hard

Começar do início

"I was about to leave when my mom called."

"You didn't have to drop your plans because of this; after all it's my grandfather that's in a critical state not yours."

I frowned. "What are you saying Mason?"

"I'm saying this is none of your concern, so you shouldn't have to drop everything to be here for an old friend's grandfather." He said flatly.

"Grandpa Mitch isn't just an old friend's grandfather Mason!" I snapped. "He means a great deal to me, more than you know so do not tell me what I should or shouldn't do, I know you're worried but it doesn't give you the right to take it out on me, I'm as worried as you are, don't forget that I've been through this before with my own grandfather!"

I was a tad bit breathless after my rant, I would be lying if I wasn't annoyed at Mason, I understood his condition but it didn't give him the right to speak to me that way, to make it seem like I only cared for Grandpa Mitch because of our friendship.

For a long few minutes, neither I nor Mason said anything, I had to tell myself to calm down and not snap at Mason, I had to control my anger and understand what Mason was going through, but Mason surely made it difficult to not snap at him.

"Sorry." Mason sulkily mumbled beside me. "I should've thought before I spoke."

"It's fine." I replied in the same tone as his. "And I'm sorry for snapping at you, I should've understood your feelings...especially at his time."

There was a brief silence before I spoke. "How did this happen...I mean all of a sudden...how?"

Mason inhaled a deep breath. "I don't know, it was a shock for me too, I mean Gramps never once gave off an impression that he was unwell, until today." Mason paused and I eagerly waited for him to continue. "I was going down to the kitchen to grab myself a bite when I heard one of the servants shout, in a panic. She was screaming and saying something was happening to Mr Clarke. Concerned, I headed to the backyard, where as usual Gramps sat every Sunday, to see him clutching onto his chest and gasping for breath. I tried asking what was wrong but he was in too much discomfort to answer me, the next thing I knew he was in an ambulance and the doctor had to perform an emergency bypass surgery."

I let Mason's words sink in. "So Grandpa Mitch had a heart attack?"

Mason shrugged. "According to the doctor, yes."

"How severe is it?"

"If I knew do you think I'd be sitting here idle, waiting for some news?" Mason said curtly.

Taken aback at his tone and reply I said, "Sorry, I'm-"

"No, I understand you're worried and anxious too." Mason sighed cutting me off. He ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "It's so damn frustrating sitting here and just waiting, while my grandfather is in theatre, with his chest cut open, fighting for life!"

I cringed at Mason's words, he made a simple surgery sound so vile and it only added to the horrid picture I had of Grandpa Mitch lying unconscious with his chest cut open while doctor's tried to sort out whatever problem he had.

Mason let out a frustrated grunt and went back to the position I saw him in when I entered the waiting room.

I pitied his state; I could see the many mixed emotions he was feeling, I could relate to them. After all, I had felt the very similar way a few years ago when it was my grandfather that was in a critical state, and this time I felt all those emotions resurface, it was like I was taken back to that time again.

I reached over my arm to place a comforting hand over Mason's shoulder but I pulled away when a voice screeched into the room. "Mason!"

Mason sat up and before he could even blink Ashley ran up to him and sat down on the chair on the other side of him. She cupped his face in her hands. "Oh Mason, I came as soon as I heard, I'm so sorry."